Skip to content

Announcements

HELP! Eating way too much healthy food
kristinmitchell4545 posted:
So I have been on my healthy journey for over four years now. I eat very healthy foods and don't even crave junk food. My problem, especially lately, is that I'm eating way to much food.

I'm 5'4' and at a very healthy weight for me, which is about 135. Now I'm trying to lose just a little more weight to get rid of those "trouble spots" - the belly, the butt, and the thighs. I think if I were to lose about 5 lbs I would have a really toned look, because I'm like a size 6 and about 18-19% body fat right now.

My diet now consists of lean proteins (like turkey, eggs, whey protein, etc.), a ton of green veggies, fruits, healthy fats like nuts and dairy, and healthy carbs like oatmeal, sweet potato, and rice. I do have a gluten intolerance so that limits my carb options. I try to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day, but lately that has become 8 or 9. Its disgusting how much I'm eating. At every meal I make sure to never eat a starch by itself, so I alway combine a protein, a carb, and a fat. Theoretically, that should have an good effect on my blood sugar. I've always had a problem with extreme hunger my whole life, but its been getting to the point where I can't control it now. People say its boredom or just wanting to eat, but I don't think so. About 1 to 1.5 hours after eating my stomach is growling, I'm irritable, shaky, my ears are ringing and my vision starts going black. Its strange because I get this reaction no matter how much I eat, whether its 300, 500, or 800 calories. When I eat, I eat until I'm full. I'm always very satisfied with both the taste and the amount of my food, its just that I go from full to hungry very very quick.

I drink plenty of water (over 100 ounces a day) and I take a fiber supplement to promote fullness. I LOVE exercise, and typically exercise 30 - 45 minutes 6 days per week. I alternate between strength training, cardio, and flexibility exercises. I've been exercising at this rate for 4 years now, so I don't think my exercise regimen has anything to do with this increase in appetite. I've been to a doctor about this and they can't find anything in my blood work indicating why I'm so hungry (like thyroid function, diabetes, etc). I'm not taking any medications, only herbal supplements. My doctor has noticed that I have a lot of vitamin and mineral deficiencies (like iron, vitamin B, calcium, potassium, and a few others), which is odd because my healthy diet should be giving me everything I need. The herbal supplements I take are to address these deficiencies. I'm also very happy at this point in my life, so I know that I'm not turning to food out of stress or depression.

So that's it. Sorry to write a novel, I just wanted to give everyone the complete background so I can get the best answer. Am I doomed to be this hungry my whole life? Since I get shaky and lose my vision, is it safe to tough it out and ignore the hunger? If so, do you have any tips for ignoring the hunger? As I said before, I've already tried all of the anti-hunger tips that I could find (staying hydrated, combining macronutrients, eating more fiber, upping my protein intake, small meals throughout the day) but I would definitely be open to trying anything else that may help (other than appetite suppressing diet pills).

Thank you!

totallywiggedout responded:
Time to see your doctor for some blood work and a physical. It truly sounds like you have you dietary needs met with a good balance of nutritious foods.
Don't do ANY pills or anything supplimental until you see your doctor. It may make whatever you are experiencing worse.
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

kristinmitchell4545 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I saw my doctor just a couple of months ago when the hunger started getting worse. My blood work didn't bring up any problems other than the vitamin and mineral deficiencies. I have no idea where to go next since I've already been to the doctor. My physicals show that I am in tip top shape. After seeing my blood work they said that my body must need the extra calories for some reason, but I doubt that my body really needs 3000 calories.
I went to a holistic doctor after that and have been seeing him regularly. Other symptoms have drastically improved, like fatigue, but not the hunger. I've talked to him about it but he doesn't seem to share my concern since I'm at a healthy weight. He said I just need to give my intestines time to heal after 20 years of eating wheat and not realizing the damage it was doing to my intestines. I think that he is right, I just need to figure out how to deal with the hunger while my body is healing, since that may take a while.

totallywiggedout replied to kristinmitchell4545's response:
You are awful young yet. I'm thinking you may be getting ready for another growth spurt. It's not unusual for women to have one in their early twenties. It's the last chance to grow taller, lol. Give your body what it says it needs for right now. As long as you are munching on healthy stuff, you won't be doing much harm. Give it free reign on a short leash. LOL
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

kristinmitchell4545 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I hadn't thought about that possibility. Thank you!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kristin -

This must be so frustrating for you! I recently took a medication for a short time that increased my appetite. It was horrible. I called my doctor and we changed to another drug.

I put your symptom in the WebMD Symptom Checker - hypoglycemia and malnutrition came up but it looks like you have addressed those concerns.

Here's a story that might give you one or two tips you have not tried (or can try again) Top 10 Ways to Deal with Hunger

I'll check around some more and see what I can come up with - congrats on your very healthy lifestyle, BTW. High five for that

Haylen

I'm still short, but, I did get my last 1/2 inch of growth spurt at around 23 , which was pretty late. But , I couldn't complain , when you're fun sized every little bit helps, lol

Oh, I wanted to say, I'm truly surprised about your vitamin and mineral deficiancy. (spelling?? meh) With what you reportedly eat, you should be getting enough.
But, while looking into something else for another blogger, I found that caffeine can block absorption of certain necessary nutrients. Check out some sites concerning foods that block them and see if there's something that is keeping these from your system and just flushing them right through. It may very well be something like that , that you may have to cut back on or delete from your diet to stop the mad munchies. Your body is telling you something, do your homework and find out what it is. (I'm still thinking growth spurt thought, this is just a side option)

eddiev1261 responded:
Thiose symptoms usually signal hypoglycemia. You may eat and eat and as you said 8-9 small meals a day but if you count sugars and carbs SO closely that you take in none you will get hypoglycemic. I am diabetic so I fight the war between high and lows every day. I'd invest in a glucose meter and take readings when you get shaky. If you are below 100, eat something with a low glycemic index so the sugars are released slowly and you will come out of the shakes at a safe pace. You need to avoid sharp peaking highs and lows.

Chickeecheek responded:
So, I know that this is old, but as soon as I saw it I had to make an account so I could reply. I'm currently in nursing school and have learned about this in nutrition.
STOP taking the fiber supplement. You are eating plenty of healthy food to have enough fiber for healthy digestion. It's true that fiber does make you feel fuller, because it is not super digestible by your body. That is why it's so good for making us "regular"- it goes in one end and out the other. The only problem is, as it goes through your digestive tract, copious amounts of fiber can take the vitamins and minerals from the rest of your food with it. That would explain, in my opinion, the nutrient deficiency you are experiencing, and could add to your increased hunger. You are eating well, but not absorbing a lot of it due to all the extra fiber.
I know I'm late, but I hope this helps.

brunosbud replied to Chickeecheek's response:
http://blog.hostelbookers.com/travel/best-breakfast/

I'm sharing this link as a reminder that there still remains communities around the world with dietary strategies (Japan & South Korea) that have comparatively little incidence in Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes...

What's the big differences between their diets and ours, you ask?

1. They eat less red meat.
2. They eat far less processed food.
3. They eat far more fruits and vegetables.
4. They eat, mostly, whole foods high in fiber.

A list of the most "healthy" foods recommended by every dietician in America...
  • Lettuce, Swiss chard, raw carrots, and spinach
  • Tender cooked vegetables, such as asparagus, beets, mushrooms, turnips, and pumpkin
  • Broccoli, artichokes, squashes, sweet potatoes, and string beans
  • Vegetable juices
  • Legumes, such as lentils, black beans, split peas, kidney beans, lima beans, and chickpeas
  • Sunflower seeds, almonds, pistachios nuts, and pecans
  • Apples and bananas
  • Peaches and pears
  • Tangerines, prunes, and berries
  • Figs and other dried fruits
  • Hot cereals, such as oatmeal, farina, and Cream of Wheat
  • Whole-grain breads (whole wheat or whole rye)
  • Brown rice
  • Popcorn
  • High-fiber cereals (such as bran, shredded wheat, Grape Nuts, Ry Krisp, and puffed wheat)
  • Whole-wheat pastas
  • Bran muffins
...just so happens to be a list of foods containing the highest amount of fiber! Gee...What are the odds of that?

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
Let me illustrate my point about fiber and its importance this way...

Throughout nature, we never see fat animals in their natural habitat. There are no fat fishes. There are no fat birds. There are no fat monkeys. They're all perfect, both, weight and health. But, as soon as we feed an animal, food that's "processed", food that is depleted of the majority of natural fiber & water, what happens?

Look at our dogs. Look at our cats. Look at chickens.

What happens to animals once they become domesticated and fed "processed", unnatural food?

They became fat...Just like us.

I don't recommend fiber supplements because if you eat a diet, rich in whole, natural foods you will get all the fiber you need. Vitamins and supplements, too! Fiber is not the kristenmitchell's problem; it's her salvation. If she wants to lose weight, she simply needs to eat more whole foods than she's eating, now...

That's the true definition of eating "healthy". Eating foods that we were meant to eat, in nature.

PetuniaPea replied to Chickeecheek's response:
Totally agree about stopping the fiber, that fiber supplementation can actually deplete you of vitamins! Good call Chickeecheek!

I know this is an old post too, but wanted to add about iron deficiency, which the original post talks about...calcium supplements and dairy products taken or consumed with iron-rich foods can block the absorption of iron! So eat iron rich foods separately than dairy foods or calcium supplementation. Also, if you are eating calcium rich foods, there may be no need for calcium supplements, if indeed you are taking.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Chickeecheek replied to brunosbud's response:
I want to clarify that I was talking about the dietary fiber supplement as something that should be stopped. I totally agree with you, brunospud, that eating more fiber-rich foods (with lots of water) is one of the best things a person can do for his or her health, and fiber is found mostly in unprocessed foods! Very good points. A fiber supplement, though, on top of all of the fiber-rich food she was already eating, was probably stripping her body of nutrients as it went through the GI tract; humans are not made to eat fiber in excessive amounts, though most people these days, especially Americans, do need to eat a lot more.
I wasn't sure if you were agreeing with me, or if you thought that I was telling her to cut fiber out of her diet completely. Hopefully I've clarified any misunderstanding!

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.