Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Diet/Exercise
An_245091 posted:
I'm 21 years old, 5' 1" and weight 98.8lbs. My routine consists of wake up at 6am and eat scrambled eggs with cheese and turkey, 1/4cup oatmeal and half of a mini what bagel. I go to the gym at 7 for an hour sometimes an hour and a half. I do this 6 days a week and some days I go twice. After I work out I have a protein shake that is about 200 calories. Lunch is a salad with celery, raisins, chicken and light dressing. I usually just throw a little bit of everything in there and eat it til im satisfied. This is usually around 12ish. Around 3 I have a protein bar that is around 180 calories and dinner is usually a guessing game. Sometimes it is another protein shake or anything under 200 calories. This is usually around 6 or 6:30. I am so scared of gaining weight. I used to have love handles that I was so self conscious about and they are gone now but I fear them coming back so I am constantly watching what I eat and freak out if I go out to eat or go home and my mom cooks dinner without me knowing what is going into it even though she is a health freak. What can I do so that I am not freaking out anymore and I can go about eating more relaxed. I also want to eat more and sometimes eat ice cream without killing myself the next morning. I get exhausted at the end of the day because I am not eating as much and I get grumpy and cold.

Tomato05 responded:
Your diet looks quite healthy, and it is good that you exercise and watch what you eat.

Of course you can relax a little about varying your diet pattern on occasion - you can still "control" it: if you eat more during one meal (like when you eat your mom's dinner, or a high-cal snack like ice-cream), you can eat less during the next meal or simply eat like you normally eat from the next day onwards.

One protein shake (e.g. after exercise) is a good idea, but I would think it is not then necessary to have another one as dinner - a light dinner consisting of food like a piece of grilled chicken or fish, with steamed veg would not have much more calories, but be more balanced.

Likewise with the protein bar - maybe replace it with an ounce of nuts and a small piece of fruit for better nutrition, or 1/2 cup of skim yogurt and a piece of fruit.

For breakfast you would get enough protein from the eggs, and the cheese and turkey may be replaced with 1/2 cup of yogurt maybe?

Remember that you can eat more relaxed without gaining weight.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.