Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Can't get enough to eat
speedknitter posted:
I've moved to eating healthier and exercising (about a 20 minute strength or cardio routine daily) and no matter what I do I can't seem to control my meal portions. I've done a pretty good job replacing foods with healthier things - ex: the large bowl of ice cream every night got replaced with non-fat vanilla yogurt and frozen raspberries - but I can't seem to control portions. I still go through a big thing of yogurt every day or two, and a bag of raspberries in the same amount of time. I always end up taking seconds on whatever is for dinner that night (I don't always control what is prepared) and once dinner is over I'm still hungry and end up snacking for the rest of the night. Today I had a salad around 10:30, a tuna sandwich and carrots around 12:30 and then snacked on anything I could find for the rest of the afternoon, including frying up tortillas because there was nothing else in the fridge. I love salads but they never fill me up. I'm always still hungry. In no way do I think I'm starving myself, but I still feel the need to eat more. What sorts of things should I be eating to prevent this from happening and how should I implement them?

speedknitter responded:
Upon re-reading, what I wrote doesn't sound too bad, but it's that feeling in my stomach that I am trying so hard to ignore that is the big problem. What foods fill you up without packing on the pounds?

totallywiggedout replied to speedknitter's response:
baby carrots, celery, cucumber, baked kale, air popped popcorn(no butter or sprayed with PAM butter flavor cooking spray), 1/2 flax pita pocket stuffed with veggies W/ some mustard, 1 hard boiled egg, fruit and yogurt parfait, 1 small soft corn tortilla stuffed with small amount of chicken fajita (lots of green peppers n onion, sm amount of meat), 1 pink grapefruit eaten like an orange, thin sliced sweet potatoe (turnip,rhutabaga,or beet) sprayed with PAM butter flavor cooking spray baked for 10 min or so at 425 deg to crisp them, a tofu salad wrapped in a romaine leaf, water packed tuna on a whole grain lite english muffin topped with just a sprinkling of cheese and baked till cheese melts..... lol lots of lite ways to stick to a diet and still survive a munchie attack
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Tomato05 responded:
Maybe instead of fighting hunger all the time, and trying to appease it, try to "live" with it to a reasonable extent.

I don't mean starving yourself, but if you set a certain calorie limit (like 1500 calories), and eat at set times (e.g. 3 meals and 2 or 3 predetermined snacks), just stick with those. You can then safely ignore any hunger pangs outside of that eating, knowing that you are getting good nutrition.

Sometimes hunger is like a naughty child - you have to be a little strict with it to tame it. If you don't give in to it all the time, your body and mind will eventually get the message and will get used to your eating pattern. You will eventually even come to prefer eating only at those 5 or 6 times, and eating at other times will not look all that appealing.

It takes time and practice though, and initially you will break the rules here and there, but over time you can fine-tune it.

brunosbud responded:
When you reduce calories and begin the process of weight loss, its imperative to eat a certain "way". If you don't, the constant nagging hunger pangs will most often drive you to fail...

In the most direct and simplest way I can say, you are misinformed. Your assumptions about proper diet are wrong. Yes, you need to cut back on calories in order to lose weight.
Everyone knows that. Yes, you need to stop drinking sugary beverages and eat breakfast every morning. Everyone knows that...

Unfortunately, there are infinite ways to cut back on calories but only a handful of ways will work. You know this to be true, speedknitter, from your own personal experience. You know its true.

http://blogs.webmd.com/life-with-diabetes-2/2009/07/eating-for-diabetes-reversal-part-1.html

This is an article written by Dr. Michael Dansinger. He is the weight loss and dietary advisor for the popular TV show, "The Biggest Loser" and an internationally recognized expert on obesity prevention and treatment.

Now, that you've know why the food you've been eating is so bad, here's, the dietary guidelines he recommends...

http://blogs.webmd.com/life-with-diabetes-2/2009/08/eating-for-diabetes-reversal-part-6.html

Compare his recommendations to yours and you will quickly see the difference. The most important message he delivers to all his patients & contestants is this:

Its not just foods that have "added sugar" that must be avoided. You have to know the difference between a "good starch" and a "bad starch". For weight loss to occur, successfully, you have to strictly limit the good starches and eliminate all bad starches.

When you combine this knowledge with regular, daily exercise, plenty of good sleep, plus, the importance of omega-3 fatty acids, you will have a much, much better chance of reaching your goal...

a smaller waist!

PS: Reversing type 2 diabetes and reversing obesity is essentially the same. These dietary guidelines are also very similar to those recommended for arthritis and heart disease patients.

One last comment: Someone accused me of being "perfect", the other day when discussing health. I kinda laughed to myself when I heard that remark...

See, I have ADHD. I'm suffering from depression. I have colon cancer. I am Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetic. I have osteoporosis and kidney disease & I show early signs of dementia, as well.

Perfect? I believe I'm the most "sick" person in America.

The reason? Because, I believe that all modern diseases are on "the spectrum". Everybody walks the same spectrum just like we all drive the same roads and freeways. Its not really a question of whether you have the disease or not; it's how "diseased" are you.

Perfect??? If they only knew how ironic and silly that statement sounded to me. Especially when they only have one disease. I should be so lucky!

tirips36 responded:
What struck me right away is that you didn't eat a good breakfast. Eating a good breakfast.within an hour or so after I wake up seems to help me eat less the entire day.

Try it. Good luck.

newkneesforme responded:
A good breakfast may help, as well as drinking LOTS of water every day. I know a lot of people aren't big water drinkers, but it really does help. It improves your metabolism, as well as filling you up. Even mild dehydration is often mistake for hunger, so give it a try. Also, a big tossed salad (without being drowned in salad dressing) for lunch works well. Try to keep bags of prepared raw vegetables in the fridge at all times, so you can grab a handful of those anytime you feel like munching on something. Good Luck!

QLisa responded:
Try eating more protein and a little fat early in the day and
at lunch. Eliminate the bread and have the lunch tuna wrapped in a lettuce leaf or two. A few black olives are a good side option unless you have been told to watch your salt intake. Salads without protein will NOT satisfy hunger. Protein is the key. At dinner try going heavy on non-starch vegetables. Anything high in carbohydrate or sugar will trigger hunger.
Also drink water throughout the day, plain or with some lemon squeezed into it for flavor, as it helps to create a feeling of fullness and also hydrates.

QLisa

JKhealth responded:
I tend to drink coffee with breakfast and lunch. Then about halfway through the afternoon, I'll start on the water. I make it a habit to only eat three times a day, no snacks, and I drink about 20 ounces between lunch and dinner. That way I'm not overly hungry at dinner, just enough to really enjoy the food, but stick to portion control. (When I started, I bought a scale to make sure I was measuring the portions correctly. So easy to overdo.) Then after dinner, I'll drink another 40 ounces of water thoughout the evening.

Very cold water takes away my hunger every time. If I'm not feeling a little hungry right before bed, then I know I've eaten too much that day... or too late in the day. So I'm always happy when I feel a little hungry right before bed. If it bothers me or keeps me awake, then I'll drink another 20 ounces of very cold water and then I can sleep. When I started this system, I would wake up in the middle of the night hungry, drink cold water, and go back to sleep.

Of course, I'm usually up once during the night anyway to use the bathroom, but that doesn't bother me as long as I'm losing weight on my bathroom scale most mornings. I feel like it's a fair trade-off. Nothing I could eat makes me happier than seeing that bathroom scale down a half pound in the morning, and the water has been helping me achieve that.

JKhealth replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks, brunosbud. There was some helpful info in the links that you provided. As I learn more about food, I feel like I'm better armed to meet my health goals.

I'm getting better at thinking about food as fuel for my body. If it's not high in nutrients, then why eat it? I try to think of those high sugar or high salt foods as being toxic for my body. Then they look less appetizing and I can avoid them.

One day at a time.... that got me through the first couple weeks. After a couple months now, I'm actually enjoying this lifestyle change. I'm feeling much better, less tired.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.