Hot Dog, Jumbo 3.00
Meatball Sandwich 3.00
PizzaSlice 3.00
Chicken Rice Bowl 22oz 3.00
Orange Chicken_____________________ 3.00

ALL COMBO MEALS INCLUDE:
Milk
One Sandwich or entrée
Plus choice of two: fruit, vegetable or juice.

Entrees
Soup, 10oz Bowl/Cracker _______ 1.75
Chili, 12oz. Bowl/Cracker 1.75
Chicken Mashed Potato Bowl________ 3.00

Bread, etc.
Bagel, 3oz Plain/Combo .50/1.25
Bagel 4oz. w/ Cream Cheese 1.50
Bread Sticks (2) w/sauce ____________ 1.50
Dinner Roll & Butter .75
Muffin Small/Combo .75/1.25
Crackers, soda 4pk _ .25
Bulk Cereal w/ milk _ 1.50
Mini Donuts, 6pk/combo 1.00/1.50
Buttermilk Bar, wheat/combo 1.00/1.50
Pop Tarts/combo 1.00/1.50
Cinnamon Roll/Twist combo _ 1.50

Drinks
Coffee, 12oz. 1.00
Hot Chocolate 1.00/1.25
Supreme Hot Chocolate 1.25
Hot Tea, Regular/Herbal .75
Juice, 100%, 4oz .30
Juice, 100%, ½ pt .50
Juice, 12oz. Cup 1.00
Juice, 12oz 1.00
Milk, ½ pint .50
Milk, 12 oz 1.00
Water, bottled 1.00/1.25
Drinks, 12oz. Can/Bottle (20oz) __ _.75/1.25
Drinks, 16oz.- 32oz. Cup Fountain) 1.00/1.25
Slush—100% juice
4oz./10oz./16oz./32oz .60/1.00/1.50/3.00
G 2, 20oz 1.50
Gatorade 1.00

See anything wrong with it? What are you thoughts?

fenton04 responded:
If this is not a trick question the only thing I see wrong it that it does not include "para espanol presion nombre dos" . Just an observation.

mommaxeli replied to fenton04's response:
It's appalling, Fenton, that you can read that menu and the only thing you see wrong is that...

There are no dessert options. How did you miss that?!
Work at home mom of 4. SW: 260 CW: 155 GW:145.

Tomato05 responded:
Almost everything is wrong, apart from a few lights in the darkness like tea, tuna salad, soup, sandwich.

I am glad I don't have to eat from this selection every day.

What should feature more, are low-fat yogurt, fruit, variety of healthy salads, vegetables, hard-boiled or poached eggs, egg-white omelets, bean-based dishes, grilled chicken, pasta in veg sauce,brown rice,etc.

Most of those hot dishes can be scrapped and replaced.

mommaxeli replied to Tomato05's response:
But Tomato, if they offered that stuff, the school cooks would have to actually...cook!!!

It's all about convenience. Pop a burrito in the microwave. Slap some PB&J on some bread. And actually, I'd be willing to bet they don't even make the PB&J's. They're probably the frozen kind, too! Do whatever it takes to get those cattle...er, kids through the line and on their way.

This is an unfortunate situation. Even IF children were taught good eating habits at home, how could they make good choices given that menu?! I'm sure even the halfway healthy choices are so processed they may as well just dump some salt down their throats and go on to calculus class.

I shudder to think how my weight problems would have been compounded had THAT been my menu in high school! I guarantee I would have lived on a steady diet of pizza and mini donuts. And I would have never thought twice about it because I was a teenager and didn't think about things like that...

I also shudder to think that my very overweight stepdaughter is probably eating that crap every day even though we make sure she packs a lunch. Yet another tally on the "positives" side of the homeschool debate for my younger kids...
Work at home mom of 4. SW: 260 CW: 155 GW:145.

brunosbud replied to Tomato05's response:
Thank you, Tomato.

This is the problem...Nobody sees the problem.

totallywiggedout responded:
Aw, heck, Bruno, I'll take a stab at it... Out of 20 some odd entrees, only about 3 or 4 could be considered healthy. As most are still served with or on bread and with cheese, that's negligable, but the cheese is optional (but only if you want to only have tomatoe on your bread.)
Way , way too many carbs in this menu, way way too many fats, sodium and sugars. As literally all the choices with meat, other than the tuna salad, the Orange chicken and the chicken rice bowl (maybe) are made with processed meats, you can count on the extra sodium and fats in there.
For the drinks, sugar, sugar and yep sodium. Depending on IF the milk choices include skim or 1% which it doesn't say, I'd say they are probably full fat.
Am I close here?
This looks good at the outset, but if you know what you are looking for , it's in there.
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

totallywiggedout responded:
Ah , shoot, I think I got it. The "meals" are given the choice of two, fruit, veggie or juice.
BUT there are NO fruits or Vegetables listed as choices, only juice. Is this the problem you are seeing?
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

fenton04 replied to mommaxeli's response:
Mea culpa. If you are getting at the this sort of thing does not happen in Cuba, or North Korea. Then comrade I agree with you whole heartily. My point is that the spanish speaking student would have a tough time navigating this menu. You have that choice when you call businesses, and government agencies. Por supuesto!!!

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
"...what's the problem?..."

It would be nice if we were able to get Dr. Peeke to respond to this question for two reasons...

One, she's qualified.
Two, she writes, well.

With that said, here's my unqualified opinion...

I think this menu encourages both Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. Specifically, it's high in calories, way to high in carbohydrates (specifically, processed starch), high in saturated fats, high in sugar, high in preservatives, low in fiber, low in Omega-3 Fatty Acids...

other than that, it's a perfectly healthy menu...

There are those who would argue, "Well, everything in moderation."

True, but the problem with eating a heavily processed, calorie dense diet like this is? It encourages overeating. It makes you hungry, again, real fast. Its very hard to stop pounding this stuff down, again and again and again...

There are those who would argue, "These are kids. They need the energy!"

True, but what happens when they become kids, no more, but they're "trained" to eat like this?

There are those that would argue, "What good is a menu if nobody will buy anything that's offered?"

True. You can't offer these kids a menu of foods they're "suppose" to eat in High School...

It's too late. School's out.

fenton04 replied to mommaxeli's response:
Attention fellow citizens of new york city high school. Chairman Bloomberg has looked favorably upon you. A change has been made to lunch menu. The exaulted Bloomberg has decreed that from now on the cafeteria will only offer grass porridge, bread and water. All hail chairman Bloomberg. Long live the peoples republic of new york city. Just my version of the new world order we all envision in this weight loss quest.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.