Skip to content

Announcements

Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes
mplsgossipgirl posted:
For about 4 years I have been having trouble eating fried foods. I also can't eat excess sugar alcohols (easy to eliminate since it isn't in a ton of foods that I know of). Both make me sick to my stomach and sometimes I throw up if I have either of these items. I have been through a ton of tests including food allergies and also a ultrasound to check my organs. They had no answers for me other than eliminating food from my diet and my birth control had some effect on it as well (from doctors, I would like to see a Nutritionist, but they are fairly expensive and not covered by insurance).

This has been hard for me because I used to be 100% healthy and was never sick. It has been hard to explain to people why I won't eat certain foods when we go out I have trouble finding foods to eat, especially at chain restaurants. Plus, I am not a size two and they cannot figure out why I am not super skinny if I don't eat fried foods (I love cheese and bread). Sometimes, I wish I could be a normal 24 year old who doesn't have to explain and talk about my diet as a topic of conversation when out to dinner with friends. They don't mean to be mean, but it still hurts when they have harsh words about me trying to lose weight (when really I am trying to not throw up). I know it could be worse, and there has been good to come out of this situation. I don't have a choice about eating healthy. But, I wish it could be easier to find foods that are healthy and not fried.

Even when I try to avoid these foods I still have problems when I go out to eat and sometimes eat foods that make me feel sick. I think I am in the clear with what I am eating and it turns out that I am not.

I have heard from other people that have these problems that Probiotic and Digestive Enzymes can help if you do happen to accidentally have something that makes your stomach upset.

Do these help? Can I take them together? What should I look for when I go to buy them? Do I have to worry about them having sugar alcohols in the tablets? Can I take them with a vitamin pill?

Any direction would be helpful. Also, what type of diet would be best for someone like me? I love to cook. Can coconut water help? Some people think calms the stomach.

mama_martha responded:
In doing a search about probiotics and enzymes I found this post. Sorry to reply on an old post but I wanted to share some helpful information. I have found that probiotics and enzymes helped my children and to be able to better break down our food tremendously!! The type we've used is called Digestive Health from http://www.corehealthproducts.com/products/digestive .

I have written up my story about how probiotics and enzymes helped my children in a blog. http://help4acidreflux.wordpress.com

The company where I buy the Digestive Health from also sells a product called Heart Health. These help break down fat. Here is a story about a lady that lost weight by taking them. http://www.corehealthproducts.com/testimonial-pdfs/life-transformation.pdf

In the last 2 months I have been taking the Heart Health plus the Digestive Health and have lost15lbs. But two months ago I quit nursing my baby and my appetite decreased a bunch, and also shortly after that my dad was killed. So I'm sure that quitting nursing and the stress were also part of the reason I've lost weight. But I really think that the Heart Health has played a part in it too.

brunosbud replied to mama_martha's response:
You are advocating the "purchase" of something we should buy and give to our children...

Here's my perspective...

Why not take a closer examination of what you are feeding your children that necessitates the need to "purchase" this product in the first place?

http://chriskresser.com/a-healthy-gut-is-the-hidden-key-to-weight-loss

"Intestinal bacteria drive obesity and metabolic disease"

"...the gut (bacteria) flora's role in human health and disease. ..promotes normal gastrointestinal function, provides protection from infection, regulates metabolism and comprises more than 75% of our immune system. Dysregulated gut flora has been linked to diseases ranging from autism and depression to autoimmune conditions like Hashimoto's, inflammatory bowel disease and type 1 diabetes..."

Factors that can impact bacterial flora profile in the human gut:

• Antibiotics and other medications like birth control and NSAIDs
  • Diets high in refined carbohydrates, sugar and processed foods
  • Diets low in fermentable fibers
  • Dietary toxins like wheat and industrial seed oils that cause leaky gut
  • Chronic stress
  • Chronic infections

PetuniaPea responded:
mplsgossipgirl,

I don't understand when you say "I don't have a choice about eating healthy." You mention that you can't eat fried foods, okay, that's good. Then you say you love cheese and bread. Not once did you mention that you can't eat fruits, veggies, beans, and nuts. Then you mention that you "have trouble finding foods to eat" at restaurants. What is it exactly that you can't eat? All you mention is fried foods and sugar alcohols, which are bad for you anyways. I'm confused, please clarify.

Here's my experience. I realized years ago that wheat gluten was giving me a problem--extreme gas, bloating, stomach pain, and rashes. So I eliminated it from my diet. Dairy products also gave me issues--stomach upset, excessive mucus and excessive discharge (you can guess where!). So I eliminated them from my diet. I didn't complain when I went to restaurants. I didn't explain to people about my decision and make a big deal of it. I just did what was right for me. I was proactive about my health.

Also, years ago, I gave up fast food altogether, and I hardly even go out to restaurants, because I like my cooking better, plus I know what I put in my dishes. If I do go out to restaurants, I'll fill up on nuts or something else, then order a big salad or a soup, or if they have something on their menu that I can have, I'll have it.

Last year, I gave up diet soda, and this year I gave up refined sugar and refined gluten-free cereal (remember, I mentioned I can't eat gluten). I even started to eat more vegetarian/vegan. What I've realized is that I feel so much better, I've even lost weight without trying, and I have boundless energy and a strong immunity!!!

In answer to your question about enzymes. FRUITS AND VEGETABLES have TONS of natural enzymes! Eating a lot of meat and cheeses and bread will cause your stomach to work harder, to produce more hydrochloric acid in order to digest. It can cause you to feel stomach pain, have gastric reflux and a whole host of digestive problems. Cutting back on those unhealthy foods and replacing them with beans, nuts, tons of veggies, and some fruit will NATURALLY IMPROVE your issues. The latter foods I mentioned contain enzymes, are easy for your stomach to digest, and contain fiber to clean out your system and make you feel full. You will feel lighter, have less/no stomach problems, and you will start to lose weight without even trying.

A good probiotic from a reputable company wouldn't hurt. BUT taking a probiotic and digestive enzyme pills ARE NOT GOING TO WORK IF YOU DON'T TAKE CARE OF THE ROOT CAUSE, WHICH IS POOR DIET.

mplsgossipgirl replied to PetuniaPea's response:
Well, miss PetuniaPea. You might want to get off of your high horse. Shame on you. Attacking someone via posts most likely will not get them to eat better.

When I say I don't have a choice about eating healthy, it is because now I have found out I have something wrong with my gall bladder.

I eat a primarily Vegan diet with lost of fruits, veggies, and beans. Almost no fats. Doesn't change the fact that I love bread and cheese. I cannot eat it.

Strange foods set it off and I was hoping that taking a suppliment would possibly help avoid this. Yet, I know nothing about them. So I thought I would throw it out there.

You should keep your judgement to yourself.

PetuniaPea replied to mplsgossipgirl's response:
It's just that your post was vague and I needed you to clarify. Thanks for clarifying! You didn't mention anywhere in your post that you eat a "primarily vegan diet."

Side-effects of a whole foods vegan diet are great health and NO problems with gall bladders. Usually gall bladder issues happen with people with poor diets, I'm sorry , I'm not on a high horse and I'm not attacking you, I'm trying to get you to see the light, and REALLY TRULY eat a whole foods vegan diet! Read Kelly Freston's Veganist.

A friend of mine was overweight and had to have gall bladder surgery. That was her wake up call. Hopefully your gall bladder issues would be your wake up call, and you'll finally be honest with yourself.

You posted, so you're putting yourself out there for any and all comments. I'm sorry if you think I'm being judgemental. I was explaining my experience, how I improved my health and feel much better about it, trying to inspire you to do the same. But now I see that you have a bit of defensiveness and immaturity with regards to getting responses. I'm sorry I didn't sugar coat the situation. Sugar coating just makes you feel better but doesn't improve your health!

I know I sound pretty harsh, I'm just a bit upset at your response! I'm NOT on a HIGH HORSE! Just that response alone shows your immaturity! This also shows it, what you wrote:

" Plus, I am not a size two and they cannot figure out why I am not super skinny if I don't eat fried foods (I love cheese and bread). Sometimes, I wish I could be a normal 24 year old who doesn't have to explain and talk about my diet as a topic of conversation when out to dinner with friends. They don't mean to be mean, but it still hurts when they have harsh words about me trying to lose weight (when really I am trying to not throw up)."

WHO CARES WHAT YOUR FRIENDS THINK? You need new friends, then, if they are being sooo mean to you. Why do you need to explain and talk about your diet? If your eating fruits, vegetables, and beans, why should your diet even be a topic for them to make you "feel bad" about? I WAS TELLING YOU TO BE PROACTIVE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH!

SoundandVision replied to PetuniaPea's response:
I was eating healthy and was a gym rat. I started taking a high grade probiotic and noticed that the weight came off much faster.

SoundandVision replied to brunosbud's response:
I read all about leaky gut when I was going to a holistic nutritionist. I had to stop going because she was expensive. She put me on a probiotic that really helped me.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.