Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Food cravings - what are yours?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
WebMD has a new slideshow:

Food Cravings That Wreck Your Diet

My big problem is my sweet tooth! All of the foods I crave are sugary and lead to more and more cravings - I have to try and avoid dessert like treats or the whole day goes off the rails.

What do you crave? And do you have any tips or tricks to keep on a healthy eating path?

Haylen

abnersmom responded:
Hi Haylen! My cravings are for salty, crunchy foods. I do not ever have chips in the house anymore - I cannot resist them. I keep wheat crackers in the cupboard when I have a crunchy craving I will eat a couple of those. Celery with salsa helps as well.

etang627 responded:
I crave both sweet things (chocolate, muffins, cookies) and salty things (pretzel, chips) on different days. I won't deny myself but instead save enough daily calorie intake for it and have a a small portion, while reminding myself that I can always have more on another day so that I won't overeat.

I read that chewing gum, drinking tea, brushing teeth, or do other things to district yourself may help.

leeny36 responded:
I too am a sweet freak.. I found this website (www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php) very informative and helpful, instead of keeping surgary sweets around I keep a ton of fruit instead. I will also keep a VERY limited amount of low-calorie sweet treats around.. I really like the jello temptations cheesecake or reduced fat or sugar free chocolate pudding.. that way if fruit just isn't cutting it I can have these treats with out feeling horribly guilty.. as it's only 60-100 calories! Hope this helps

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.