Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Foods to eat at dinner
nikehi posted:
What are the recommended foods to eat at dinner?

totallywiggedout responded:
Depending on what you eat for the rest of the day.... without knowing how you "break up" your caloric intake for meals, I'm just venturing a resonable idea of dinner..
1 serving of protein (3-4 oz which is about the size of the palm of your hand)
1 serving of low sodium vegetable, try to eat raw or steamed
1 serving of carb, try to switch from regular white potatoes, to sweet potatoes or Peruvian Blue potatoes as these are more nutrient dense , try NOT to eat white pastas or rice, tend toward whole grain stuff
And remember 1 serving of grains or pasta isn't alot, read the label. ONLY EAT 1 Serving.
1/2 Cup no sugar added fruit coctail for dessert or sugar free jello
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi there and thanks for your posting. You know, nowadays, anything goes. People have an omelet for dinner, or breakfast or lunch. There are no rules about strictly dinner foods. The key is to go throughout your day and have a balance of healthy protein, carb and fat for lunch and meals. You're generally looking for about 25-30% protein, 25-35% fat, and 35-45% carb.

Log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and you'll see a wide variety of foods you can eat for any meal or snack.

Good Luck!

Dr. Peeke

Sumbuny replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
I am glad to see this. My trainer and I are a bit at odds over this--he suggests that I do not eat beef in the evening, under the theory that it takes longer to digest. My concern? This is the only meal my husband and I share, so this meal has to take his tastes into consideration (with a few tweaks, of course! <g>) I.e., it is not going to always be fish or chicken <g>

So far, I have been spreading the calories out, with three meals and two snacks (often forgetting the mid-morning snack) which means I come in slightly under my goal intake (according to the WebMD food/fitness planner--excellent tool, IMHO)

What has helped me is making dinner, putting leftovers away as soon as possible, and using leftovers for next meals.

Buny

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.