Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
weight loss
tracyteej posted:
I'm in my early 40's and have exercised pretty much my whole life. I've been able to take weight off by exercising more and eating less but now I can't seem to budge on my weight. I've been tracking calories, (1300) watching my portions, eating healthy, increased my water intake, do strength training 3 times a week and cardio (brisk walking) for an hour 5 times a week. All it's done has maintained my weight. What am I doing wrong?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Me too! I'm north of 40, headed to 50 - the weight comes on so quick if I have an off week and it seems to take twice the effort to get it off.

Perhaps you have hit a plateau? Here's some info that might help you move past it and drop the remaining weight:

Stuck on a Plateau? Get the Scale Moving Again

What To Do When Your Weight Won't Budge

And keep eating right and exercising! You're doing great

Haylen

p.s. Check out our expert's blog too for great tips to keep losing...

JKhealth replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks, Haylen. Those are both excellent articles. I haven't hit a plateau yet, but it does worry me. It happened to me years ago.

I just realized that you can "save" articles to a "My WebMD Pages" section. Very useful to keep it handy for future reference.

abnersmom replied to JKhealth's response:
I didn't know that JK. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start using that feature.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. First, good for you for staying physically active all of these years. Well done! Second, welcome to your 40's. It's quite a wake up call to everyone, women and men alike. Yes, our bodies are changing and sometimes dramatically. The days of being able to drop a few in a jiffy are long gone. The lesson is not to gain the weight in the first place after 40. But if you have, here are some thoughts.

Women always need to make sure their thyroid hormone is OK. Hypothyroidism emerges as a problem in many women as they course through their 30's, 40's and beyond. Get a thyroid profile lab test done.

Next up, you may not be eating enough. It sounds like you're pretty active. Metabolism tends to slow when you're under eating relative to your physical activity level, and yours is high. Log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and make sure you're sticking to a reasonable calorie range, say 1300-1500 cal/day. I don't know your height and weight, but plug in that data and you'll get a credible cal range.

What are you eating? Try to keep your total carb content to 100 gr and you'll see the weight come off. Watch the quality of your food intake.

Watch how your cals are spread throughout the day. Don't overload relatively speaking at night. Don't eat after 7:30-8PM. Are you getting enough sleep?

Add more intensity intervals to your cardio. Do the same with your strength training. Don't get in a rut. Cross train and try new things to shake it up.

Try some of these ideas and let us know how you're doing.

Good luck!

Dr. Peeke

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.