Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

waist to height ratio
abnersmom posted:
Okay, Haylen, here's a question for you. I just read the article about using the waist to height ratio rather than the BMI. I am down to 169 as of this morning and started at 265 last June. My waist still measures 38 inches! I set my goal weight originally at 150. I don't think I will lose 6" in my waist in the next 20 lbs. Now I'm thinking I need to adjust my goal weight which is a little depressing to me. Do these nutritionists/doctors take into account the thickening in the middle of us 50+ folks?

jis4judy responded:
Hi Debbie
I am 5'5" and at 150 My waist is 29 sometimes 30
so there is hope the weird thing is the waist was a last place my weight came off .. my waist could be as much as 32 in the waist to height thing so I am ok in that way and I am 70 . so don;t blame age LOL
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hey abnersmom!

CONGRATS on your weight loss - that is a huge accomplishment - you must feel great! I just took another look at the article you are referring to:

Waist-to-Height Ratio May Predict Health Risks More Accurately Than BMI

I would not get too hung up on the inches vs. pounds details. The article talks about assessing health risk, not a required ratio to be healthy.

I encourage you to get regular check ups, make sure your cholesterol and blood pressure are good , maintain your healthy weight and exercise.

STAY THE COURSE - you are doing great!

Haylen

p.s. As I approach 50, I know exactly what you mean by "thickening middle!"

totallywiggedout responded:
Debbie, age does have some to do with the thickening of the waist, but you can whittle away some inches. I haven't lost even half of what you have but I've dropped 3 inches off my waist.
You know that seated CORE exercise I keep trying to get people to try? Yep. You got it. They definitely help to define your waistline and strengthen your erector muscles, front and back.
www.sparkpeople.com free exercise vids to download and you don't have to become a member to do it. Its called the 12 min Seated CORE since you have had some back problems too, I can't stress this video enough. It's a perfect way to strengthen and tighten without pain.
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

abnersmom replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks Haylen, Kim and Judy. I do hope that I lose more from my waist, Judy. You guys are right about everything you said. It is still a bit frustrating that I thought I was getting closer to a healthy weight and BMI (and I know I am) and then they change the rules on me!!! Not to worry, I will stay the course.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to abnersmom's response:
I was just looking at our expert's blog - she has a good article that explores body types and what is realistic when it comes to losing in one area:

Hits & Myths about Spot Reducing

I'm an "apple" shape so realistically, I'll never have a tiny waist! Oh, and having 2 giant babies didn't help either

(((hugs))) to all of you! Thanks so much for supporting this community -

Haylen

abnersmom replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Haylen. I had missed this one. Makes me feel better about where I am.

abnersmom replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yesterday I happened to be at home during the day and watched Dr. Oz on the Racheal Ray Show. He measured her waist and had her suck it in and pulled the tape measure tight! I had no idea - I've been keeping it loose and not sucking in. What a difference it made! I don't know what I did before but now I'm a 35 waist! Still way too big, but definitely better. Who knew!!!!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to abnersmom's response:
I like that technique!

Glad you are not beating yourself up - you're doing great!

Haylen

Kren48 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm an apple, too. Realistically, apples may never have a waist as small as women who are pears. My hips and thighs never get huge even at my top weight, but my waist isn't going below 30" unless I'm at an unhealthy low weight. My size 9 feet are never going to be size 7 either.

The way we are built MUST be taken into account.

Karen

brunosbud responded:
Good point. It's a common phenomenon for seniors who are not over weight, yet, are active and exercise, daily, to possess a small pot. No medical recommendation applies to all ages, across the board, except for the "fundamentals" of a healthy lifestyle. The reason?

Because, "nutritionist/doctors" had nothing to do with establishing those...

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.