Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

the reason we regain weight
jis4judy posted:
after a weight redution of 50 pounds or more Our bodies have less leptin because it is missing the fat we took off.
I watched weight of the nation last night and one thing really struck home for me . the fact is 2 people the same height and weight one maintained never got overweight the other to attain that weight reduced her body fat by reduceing her intake ... and in order to maintain that weight she has to keep her calories reduced by 20%less that the other one who never got fat . this is the factor I was suspecting through my maintainance. I thought it was my age but maybe eating less forever is because I ate too much one decade of my life and had to remove it ..
this was very enlightening there is more to regaining than returning to old ways of eating . just retirning to what is normal for a person my size would make me gain ,,,
this is just my take on it Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

JKhealth responded:
Judy, thanks so much for mentioning this. I don't subscribe to HBO. So I hadn't heard of this, but I see that HBO has provided the mini series "The Weight of the Nation" on line for free. So I'll definitely watch it now. I watched the trailer and it looks like an excellent documentary.

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films/main-films/Consequences#/watch/main-films/Consequences

brunosbud responded:
Judy,

I eat "junk" food. There, I said it!

But, being active cures a lot of ills. You can get away with many food "mistakes" as long as you exercise. The more "mistakes" you make, the more you have to move. This is why Dr. Peeke is fanatically insistent on exercise.

Exercise is the "achilles" that most gastric bypass patients suffer. To protect from injury, their lifestyle has become far too sedentary. GB patients lose weight primarily from eating less; not from exercise. Unfortunately, weight maintenance (after weight loss) hinges on maintaining a reasonably high level of daily activity...Its non-negotiable. This is precisely why surgical weight loss (and diabetes reversal through GB) has a low success rate, long term.

If there can be only one instruction in the war against Obesity, its: Move!

Oh, sorry...Please, exercise, Hugs! Thanks, Judy.

jis4judy replied to brunosbud's response:
Hi Brunosbud I do exercise 6 days week i walk about an hour a day and weight lift 2 times a week ,,, I do indulge occasionally myself but I have to avoid it becomeing a habit ..
I just wanted to point out it will take an extra effort to maintain a Loss of 50 pounds or more ... that many people may not be aware of .. Good reminder about the move more thing we can all use that extra moveing around ...I also occasionally do yoga and during football season comeing soon I do jumping jacks everytime my team scores 1 for each point ... I am going to vist my grandkids next week and I will be getting my share of junk foods
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Tomato05 responded:
There is probably some truth in that theory, Judy.

But maybe, just maybe, the body, over time "resets" itself, and if you ever so gradually increase your intake (like a few calories more a day until you can take in 50 or 80cal a day more over a year), in a few years you can be back to eating and maintaining at a "normal" level - your body has then become trained or conditioned to that.

Just a theory...

And I agree with Bruno about the exercise. If you eat 100 cal more daily, but ensure you exercise that little extra to burn the 100, you can eat more but still maintain of course. It may mean exercising more than others, but then at least you can eat as much as others at your weight and age!

jis4judy replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi tomato
I can eat 2000 cals some days like holiday time but I try to offset it by going lower incals for a day or 2 around 1500 but as you said I have to put in more exercise than others as well
they did explain that in the show I watched that some of the 20% could be offset by exercise . although they also explained that exercise does n;t burn as many calories as we think it does because our bodies are very efficiant ..and learns to adjust .
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

Tomato05 replied to jis4judy's response:
Exercise does indeed not burn all that many calories - not as many as most people think.

And the machines in the gym are not very accurate with calories burned either.

If you exercise at quite a high level of intensity for an hour, you burn a reasonable number. But your body adjusts - you are right. I jog a lot, but my body has become very clever about conserving energy when I jog.

And as we get older, we can maybe not exercise at quite such a high level of intensity (joints are a bit stiffer, injuries happen and take longer to heal, etc .).

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
202 of 247 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.