Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Ack! I've gained weight. June is the month for me to take it off. My goals are:

Walking 4 - 5 x a week
Yoga 3 x a week
Increase fresh veggie and fruit
Decrease sugary snax

How about you?

pallzy responded:
I've been struggling really badly with my food lately. So my goal for May is to start counting my calories again and get back on track
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

abnersmom responded:
Hi Haylen, Memorial Day weekend was great fun, but those cookouts were tough! I was up a lb. on Tues., but got back on track and that lb. is gone. Today is cooler here, so I plan to take advantage of that and get a good walk in and some swimming this afternoon. June is the month that I plan to reach 100 lbs. lost (2 more lbs.). So, my goal is to keep up the exercise and continue to track my food consumption. The healthy journey continues....

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi there Haylen. When you're looking at weight gain, pick it apart and be a sleuth. How'd it happen? What are the lessons? What are the simplest things you can do right now to shed the weight and keep it off. The "keeping it off" is all about what have you learned about your habits and behaviors that led to the weight gain. While you're at it, what are your strengths? Being organized, knowing how to plan, etc.

I see that you want to decrease the sugary snax. Heck, get rid of them! Think of all of the foods you find "addictive"--- ones that lead to your over eating, bingeing and feeling out of control. Ditch'em.
I love the walking and yoga combo.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Dr. Peeke

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Thanks Dr. Peeke!

No mystery here about weight gain but I love your idea of breaking it down and looking at my strengths too. I'm too hard on myself and want to set a good example for my daughters.

I'm really into all the juicy fresh berries available now - I'm going to the Farmer's Market tomorrow and will eat those and toss the candy

Haylen

mgp1935 responded:
That is just what I need to do. I don't know about the yoga, but it would be good for me.

Thrones8512 responded:
Good job! I gained but lost it by checking my fat intake and using weight lifting in my exercise routine. Filling up on lowfat veggies/fruit and beans have been more than 50% of the food on my plate(making sure i have protein with each meal). I lost 2 pounds in one day. Also i find some uplifting words to brighten my day when i get depressed about things.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
199 of 244 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.