Skip to content

Announcements

Multivitamin Absorption
dimples_5594 posted:
I have heard that multivitamins in liquid form are the best/most absorbed, while those in pill form are not actually absorbed much into the body at all (about 25%). Is that true? If so, what is the point of taking any non-liquid vitamin and how do I optimize absorption?

totallywiggedout responded:
This is only my opinion, and I've not heard of the pills vs liquid difference, but it seems like in all probability that liquids are absorbed better.
Since pills have emulsifiers to keep them dry and to "stick" stuff together to make them able to be formed into pills or have the capsule covering they would break down extremely slow and could conceivably flow through your digestive system without breaking down completely in the process. The best way to take the pill form would be to crush them and add to some yogurt or apple sauce.
If you want to keep them in pill form and want to get the most out of them, I'd suggest eating a dense, slow metabolizing protein with them. Like oven crisped chicken tenders and not carbs. Because carbs break down quickly into simple sugars they metabolize fast , if you take your pills with something like chicken or a few pieces of steak, they will travel through slower and have more time to be fully absorbed.
I may be wrong about this but I'm just thinking along the biology lines.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

CateyBatey responded:
You may also try the gummy vitamins. They make them for adults now, and honestly the ones for kids are very comparable to the adult vitamins, with the exception of the iron. These are what I take because my stomach cannot handle the pill form, and I could hardly keep them down. I feel so much better since I started taking the gummy vitamins and feel they do absorb better. When I could manage to keep the pill form down, I still felt very sluggish, and upon taking the gummy form I immediately felt 100 times better from day one. I have more energy than ever. Where I live its hard to come by the liquid vitamins, you either have to go to a special drugstore where they are highly over priced, or even have them prescribed by a doctor which and be a complete pain in the butt. Hope you found this helpful....

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.