Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Secrets of Mindful Eating
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Our fabulous expert, Dr. Pamela Peeke has a new Everyday Fitness blog post here:

Secrets of Mindful Eating

Click the link to learn why mindless eating messes with four key "friends" in our own body chemistry that work together to help sense fullness and rein in over eating.

Do you practice mindful eating? What are your tips and tricks to avoid grab-and-go, stuff-your-face eating?

Haylen

JKhealth responded:
Haylen, thanks for providing the article link. The info on the four chemicals was very interesting to me... and worth knowing more about.

The chef's info on "mindful" eating I could have skipped. Although, I can see it may be helpful to others.

For me, when I'm "mindful" of the calories I'm eating... and when I stick to healthy foods to properly fuel those calories, that's the bottom line for me. All the rest of it is details, details. Why I eat, how I eat, it's all details. After 3-1/2 months of using the Food & Fitness Planner, my daily consumption is becoming automatic and easy to maintain for me. In fact, about a week ago I had decided that I should raise my calories from approximately 1150 to 1250 per day, and I was very surprised at how much I mentally resisted that small increase. Everyday I have to talk myself into it being the right thing to do.

My point being that it gives me hope that maintaining my weight after I reach my goal won't be as hard as I once thought. If I can maintain that goal weight for five years, then maybe I can call it a success. In the meantime, I'm staying focused.... thanks in large part to WebMD and this diet community's help.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to JKhealth's response:
Your welcome! I think you can call yourself a success now - and it looks like you have the right mindset to change your lifestyle - not just focus on the scale.

How far away are you from your goal weight?

Haylen

JKhealth replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Oh, I still have a long, long way to go. I've lost 40 pounds now, but still have another 80 to lose.

In the past, I think I've made my goals too small and too easy. A few years ago I had the goal to reach the top of the so-called healthy weight range for my height, which is 175. I did that... and then put it back on and more. So this time my goal is to reach the bottom of my healthy weight range, 130, and keep it at 130 for five years before I call my goal successful. I think that's a better mindset (as you say) for me to focus on.

They say if you can beat a disease for five years, then you might be cured of it. Of course, obesity is not technically a disease in and of itself, but I'm trying to treat it with the same urgency and seriousness. In a way, it's just as life-threatening in the early detection phase. So I'm doing my best to think of it as I'm attempting to "cure" my obesity before it does my body long-term harm.

So, no, I won't call my efforts successful at this stage, but thanks for your interest and kind words.

jis4judy replied to JKhealth's response:
Hi Jk health
I really think there is no end to this journey to better health
You are successful in your plans for the future just try to remember healthier habits are forever with maybe a few slips once in a while because we aren;t perfect and life would be boreing with out a few treats just make them rare occurances.
Good Luck and happy planning to you
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Helpful Tips

Fast and easy
I have always found that eating healthy and cutting back on sugary drinks has worked for me. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.