Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Phentermine and Raspberry Ketones?
ROBBIE_T posted:
Does anyone know if it would be a mistake to add raspberry ketones
with the phentermine that I am currently taking?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
This is a question for your doctor. Please don't start or stop any supplement or medication without checking in with your primary care physician or a pharmacist.

Raspberry Ketone has been discussed several times here. Below is what our expert, Pamela Peeke, has to say.

In short, save your $$$!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:

A little Raspberry ketone 101. R ketones give this fruit their aroma and are used in the USA as a flavor. In Japan, they're used as weight loss supplements. It's felt that the R ketones somehow alter lipid metabolism. This is all based on two small mice studies and the R ketones have never been studied in humans. Sure you can eat raspberries instead, but it will take 90 pounds of them to equal the daily dose of the supplements suggested by Oz on the show.

My recommendation is save your money, take a brisk walk and get the same results!

Dr Peeke

ROBBIE_T replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Pamela

amydegtexas replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Awesome thank you

angiekayshehata replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
What is your opinion of the green coffee bean supplement?? I've been reading alot about it and it is highly recommended.
Thanks..........
angie shehata

cajunqueen461 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I ordered the raspberryketones and didn't lose a thing. I'm sending it back.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to angiekayshehata's response:
Hi Angie,

Information below from an early study.

However, I caution you to try conventional weight loss methods - healthy food, exercise - before you spend your money on a supplement

Green Coffee Beans Linked to Weight Loss in Small, Early Study

cheryls1020 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
A friend of mine tried these out and said they actually made her gain weight not lose. I have tried one of the other supplements that Dr. Oz raved about helping to lose weight and had no luck with it. I think Dr. Oz needs to just stop giving out false information. I am not a fan of his.

An_246845 replied to cheryls1020's response:
I have to ask...did your friend begin watching her intake, the quality of food choices, or increase her exercise/activity....or continue eating 'willy-nilly' - bad choices, not watching proper portion sizes & not get active, or increase activity/exercise? If you LISTENED to Dr. Oz's suggestion, these things have to change for one to LOSE weight - the supplements HELP those who are willing to help themselves!

ernies replied to An_246845's response:
There are no scientific studies on raspberry ketone that support claims of weight loss in humans... here's an excellent article that debunks all those ridiculous claims:http://inews1.net/raspberry-ketone [br>[br>As a registered dietitian(RD) and personal trainer, my advise is to stop wasting your money on weight loss pills and other snake oils... trust me, if a miracle product ever really comes to market, the whole world will hear about it.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.