im getting fattttt
hairdiva22 posted:
im at 30 year old hairstylist that's had the gastric bypass but in 2005. when i started i was 260 and kept it off for over 5 years. well in sept of 2010 i found out that i had an ulcer and needed a blood transfusion. well over the course of nearly 2 years i've gained almost 20 lbs...so i guess my ? is has anyone gained some lbs back and decided to lose the lbs and was successful with it and wut was ur trick i need help

renegade159 responded:
Dear hairdiva......my son had gastric-bypass surgery in '07! He lost a considerable amount of weight, he was nearing 400 lbs. He has put almost all of it back on, and I am so concerned about him, as, he has a family with 3 young children!
WE agree that THEY donot do enough work with your HEAD, insofar as the reasons why we overeat, and until this is done, you will always gain it back!
I wish you the best of luck in this process!! Almost everyone I know, has gained most of the weight back....just keep trying!

brunosbud replied to renegade159's response:
Dear renegade159, Can you explain? Who is "THEY" and what kind of "work" on your son's HEAD should they have done...Also, why wait until GB? Where can I go, now? Thanks for your help.

Pambobcat responded:
Been there. Remember with a bypass you are eating and absorbing less, much like your starving slightly. This low calorie absorption makes you lose weight. If you are say absorbing 900 calories and you eat enough to absorb 1200 calories you will gain weight. Your body adjusted to be more efficient on 900 calories though a little stressed. More calories make your body grab it and store it.

combine that with the stretching of the organ bypassed and you have weight gain. I find upping my excercise and drinking my diet for a couple of weeks brings me back down but bypass doesn't end your problems and its not your fault if you eat a healthy amount of food. In a few months your body will adapt again but in the meantime you will gain. Doctors don't tell you that part.

4ShepsMom replied to brunosbud's response:
"They" being the doctors who preform these surguries.Everyone having this procedure done should have extensive support groups and a therapist to talk with.A dietetionist should also be involved.Some doctors will send people wanting this done to a pychologist to talk with about your food dependencies/issues. Talk with your doctor about any support groups that may be available in your areas.Also research this surgery carefully,many other health issues arise from having this.Hair loss,gallstones,gastroentris,low iron levels,even your sex drive is effected----severe weight loss can cause divorce. These are issues needing to be addressed. I have had the surgery done back in 1984---my gallbladder went out and all the troubles started with my weight again.Good luck.

4ShepsMom responded:
Talk with your doctor as soon as you can about going back to what you started eating. The smaller amounts should help you to readjust.Or maybe try to keep a food diary daily so that you may see for yourself where you need to adjust.Try eating smaller meals more times a day-- cheese and crackers,fruits,yogurts,nuts all help with a small pick-me -up.Also drink as much water as possible.As most people having this done can't drink while eating,try water when you feel like eating something heavy or sweet.Keep your tea/coffee levels down if you drink them--they dehydrate you quickly.Watch your sugar intake,try sea salt instead of regular table salts.Avoid commercial meat tenderizers,as they help what you eat to expell from your stomach easily.My mother also had this done and kept her weight off.But she too had 4 blood transfusions.The doctor said she had high blood pressure,gave her pills.Later we found out that she did not have high blood pressure at all,but low iron levels.Have your doctor check you for anemia as this is a side effect from this surgery also.A b12 shot may also be needed.Also have your potassium level checked.Try to avoid time-release meds ,as they don't stay in your system long enough to release help. I hope some of this helps you.Just remember to stay within your goal and try to find a support group with others that have had this done.Talking with others that may know what you are going through can give you lots more advise as to what to do from here.If you can't find a group where you had the surgery done---call other hospitals near you and ask if one exists.Or ask your doctor to start a group if possible.

renegade159 replied to brunosbud's response:
Hello Bruno....what I mean by THEY, is the medical community!! THEY are quick to suggest this surgery, which is fine, but...you have a deep-seated reason why you overeat, (me too), and before you are ok'd for this surgery, you must lose 15 lbs. ANYONE can lose 15 lbs. to qualify for this, (even me), but.....it's not overcoming the fact that you still have THAT desire to EAT!! So, you stop when your stomach feels full, BUT you go back for more when the sensation goes away!! MUCH more is needed in this case. Write me anytime....I wish you luck! My other son lost almost 150 lbs on his own!! He is VERY disciplined, works out EVERYDAY at a gym, and just watches what he eats....but, it's difficult and I really thinks that he's placed himself in the LORD'S hands....he faithfully goes to church!!

renegade159 replied to 4ShepsMom's response:
AMEN...to shep's mom!!

renegade159 replied to Pambobcat's response:
Hello Pam....you are sooooo right, doctors don't tell you this!!

bonafeden replied to renegade159's response:
Not to promote or anything, but I am involved in Visalus and the stuff really works--also, it is a social environment with lots of encouragement and training. Several leading health and fitness professionals are promoting this.