Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Need Low sodium Advice
Nicci30 posted:
Is there a site that has low sodium recipes. My husband is near the danger zone of high blood pressure and we need to find ways to reduce it. The problem is that we do not want to resort to bland and boring food. Please help

totallywiggedout responded:
I have cooked most of my own meals for years and rarely if ever use salt. Not at all in any baked goods, since most have baking soda or powder which add a bit of saltiness anyhow. It's not hard. But when you need just a bit of a boost, try the Morton lite salt or something like it. It's only 50% sodium. BUT....
any other time, use combinations of herbs and spices,fruit juices(lemon , lime or whatever) and or flavored vinegars/wines and even beer to add flavor to foods. The combinations are endless. There are also about 6 different flavors of Mrs Dash seasonings out now and they are ALL sodium free.
You can use any recipe that you now use, just don't add the salt and use fresh raw meats and veggies or whatever to prepare it. Most canned goods and preprepared meats have salt that's why I specify FRESH.
As for sited for recipes, just google recipes for high blood pressure or hypertension and you'll have more recipe sites than you will ever need.
Good luck to you and your husband.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

seeit2 responded:
The American Heart Association website has a TON of resources for low-sodium eating:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Managing-Blood-Pressure-with-a-Heart-Healthy-Diet_UCM_301879_Article.jsp

follow the links for their "DASH" diet plan - also, on the home page, there are links to all sorts of heart-healthy recipes

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.