Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Help! Am I Right? Severe Weight Gain 10 years after Bypass Surgery
kdhat posted:
Had Gastric Bypass in 2001 (did the lap band first, doc didn't want it to get FDA approval and converted me), before surgery I asked my doc to take lots of the small intestine, I wanted great results. I got them, went from 320 to 120…Amazing, was actually too skinny, but I loved it. I gained back or settled at around 140 and I was okay with that, looked good and had a life I never knew I could have. I had NO idea the quality of life I was giving up when I was FAT.
Well, some 10 +/- years later, I have consistently gained about 10 to 20 pounds a year for 5 years now and I am back at 200 and climbing. I have tried everything, from juicing to well you name it. Nothing works, I don't lose weight. I still can't eat much at all, at most when not dieting 2 cups of food a day, so the pouch is still small!!!
My thoughts are that I never had much of a metabolism anyway and now my body has adjusted to the fact that it doesn't get much food. I don't eat fattening foods, when not dieting I watch what I eat, I don't binge eat, I don't eat sweets, I don't drink soda (in fact I don't drink much at all). I think somehow my body has learned to extract the fat again from the foods I eat.
My surgeon said he took over 20' of my small intestine and my thought was that what I did eat, well it went in and back out, leaving NO time for my body to absorb anything from the food…. I did become very unhealthy for many years due to malnutrition, but that's certainly not a concern any longer.
I want a revision, it's the only thing I think will work. Am I wrong? Am I on the right track? You can't just call as surgeon (mine has moved on to Duke anyway, too far away from me) and say, hey I want you to do a revision of my GP surgery. I do have low iron and have to get iron infusions, I also have to take B-12 shots, but I don't think that has anything to do with it, I have had those problems since the surgery.
Please help, there is no diet that will work, I seem to have 0 metabolism, I have tried everything!!!! Advise, encouragement, I want to hear stories of how you have overcome this….. I know there are lots of stories about others who have regained, but are there any success stories from those who regained? It's not that I don't eat right or exercise, I do those things, I just was born with a fat gene and a slow metabolism and I need a cure, a permanent one Also why would or under what circumstances would a surgeon do a revision. When I called they said for starters I have to keep a complete food journal for 2 weeks, I understand they need to see if I'm sitting around eating bon bons, but I'm not and they will see that, but what will give them the idea that I NEED a revision?
I desperately want my life back, I see it slipping away and the depression coming back and I don't want to live this way again……HELP PLEASE……

brunosbud responded:
"We are what we believe we are". C.S. Lewis

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13/health/mind-over-matter-wellington/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I'm not suggesting, anything. I recommend, nothing. I'm just pointing out that no change ever occurs until we're ready to let go of what we believe.

totallywiggedout responded:
I have to point out that you seem to say everything about stomach reduction and it's effect on your weightloss/gain but you don't say anything at all about exercise.
You can surgically alter your body over and over again , taking more and more of the digestive tract that probably worked perfectly on the day you were born, but if you just sit on your butt and expect your body to keep giving you what you want from it without some REAL WORK and SWEAT then you may be asking too much. I'd say without a doubt that you are not doing your body justice. Instead of going on the hunt for a new surgeon that will hurt your body even more, you should look for a good nutritionist and a fitness coach.
You already made your choices to cut first and ask questions later, please, learn from your mistakes.
Kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

totallywiggedout responded:
I certainly don't want to come across as crass or cold. Just truthful. And sometimes the truth hurts. You have to work for what you want is what I'm trying to say.
This article is from one of the ladies on the 50-100 lb weightloss club site here on WebMD. She has made her journey her way and has learned that with a little help, she can eat wonderfully and be fit and active for a healthy lifestyle.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/losing-100-pounds
Read through the blogs here and on the different community sites. You will find many many stories of success from real people who set their goals and went all out for them and SUCCEEDED where regular dieters have failed(over and over again) Diets aren't for the long term, and unfortunately, with weight loss surgeries such as yours, they don't teach you how to keep going after your initial loss to get to successful MAINTENANCE of that weightloss.
That's why I defintitely urge you to quit searching for a doctor to cut you, but to look for a nutritionist to TEACH you how to eat for your body's needs, forever.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

mrsstrait1221 responded:
I too, am 10 years out. I am having a revision 2 weeks from today. Make the appointment to see a bariatric dr- not necessarily that you will have a revision, but it may be that something is not working like it should. Could be scar tissue, or it could be that you've developed something kind of like a second pouch (like me). Not to say I didn't have a hand in regaining weight after the original RNY, (I did not make the right changes to food intake) but also the way it was done hindered long-term success. So, someone needs to check out what's going on down in that pouch, then decide where to go from there. I wish you much success in whatever decisions you make.

Wally76 replied to mrsstrait1221's response:
Hi can u tell me eat happened wit u I was 460 went down to 240 now I'm 350. Spewwwwwing

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.