Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

New to Webmd
ausgram posted:
Hello everyone, I have just discovered this site. I am 69 years old and aam getting some ideas on how to lose some of this weight. I've lost weight in the past so many times and just this last 10 years slacked off aand here I am 40 lbs over weight. So it's back on the diet I go. It is way harder to lose at this age. So I am taking all your suggestions.

totallywiggedout responded:
Like with Sarahsota, please , fill in the WebMD food and fitness planner or the one on Fitday.com to get yourself started on what you need to do daily to attain your goal. Being religious about these planners is a good start to keeping yourself in check and honest about what you are really doing to get there.
Read my reply to Sarah above and do the same, the more info we have on your normal day the better we can help . That's the way it works. You will get lots of replies and you pick and choose what works best for you and your lifestyle.
Be aware. We don't diet here. Not really. Because diets are for short term goals that don't really teach you anything about Maintenance when you reach your goal. What we try to do here, all of us, is to learn what works best for us, our own bodies, and to take that knowledge forward so that we can sustain and MAINTAIN that lifestyle forever.
Kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

totallywiggedout responded:
LOL Aus, sorry I messed up, the blog with Sarahsota is "weightloss Difficulties" so you can find what I was talking about.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

ausgram replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh Hey, I appreciate that. I use FitDay but not faithfully. I also downloaded a walking exercize, which I love, so maybe this new website will get me to be more faithful. Especially, cause there are real people here. So - Thanks for your answer.

totallywiggedout replied to ausgram's response:
Hey Aus. Happy Sunday!
I know you don't want to lose as much , but there are a whole lot of lovely ladies over on the 50-100 club site here on WebMD
http://exchanges.webmd.com/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange
Most of us over there have our beginning ,current and goal weights posted right on our sign off . If you don't believe real people can effectively lose weight through sheer force of will and determination, come check us out. You would be surprised to see that a few have even reached their goals (of over a 100 lbs lost) and still log in just about daily to stay focused , help others and just be a friendly neighbor. It really is like a small cul de sac over there. Everyone comes in to gripe, boast, share recipes and ideas, cry and cheer the others on. It's truly a great site. It's the springboard to my journey, every day.
Also, if you used Fitday sporadically, I urge you to try the WebMd food and fitness planner. I have had way better luck figuring it out and staying (more than) up to date with it. I say more than because it's like an obsession with me, lol. Since I like to cook and try to make all recipes that sound good healthier, I use the planner to break down all the ingredients I used in the recipe to find the very approximate nutrition data for the entire thing.
I also like the clik and drag option for the meals and snacks once saved into favorites. It saves loads of time and that way I can pre plan my entire day from what I've got loaded into my faves. I do that to then go to charts and see how my nutrients add up for the day and to see if I need to juggle something out/in to make my choices better.
Come on over and check us out. You wont be sorry. We are a super supportive group and extremely active blog site.
Kim

marknanrog responded:
I started using this site in April. Tracking what I eat was an enormous help to me. My weakness is sugary foods and with research indicating how bad is in on our bodies, I knew I need to cut down. I don't think of this as dieting - I am changing how I eat. Keeping track of what I eat has helped me realize how many empty calories I have thoughtlessly eaten in the past. Just cutting them (way down, but not out - I knew that wasn't realistic for me in the long haul) and focusing on healthy eating has worked for me. I have lost at least 15 lbs and know that although I could slip back into old patterns if I'm not vigilant, I can eat this way for the rest of my life. I am not hungry or deprived and feel good.

Tomato05 replied to marknanrog's response:
Hi marknanrog - it's good that you are not feeling deprived. I think it's the fear of deprivation that prevents a lot of people from making changes. I also have a weakness for sweets like you, and my candy is almost like a crutch to me.It's very hard for me to eat less of it.

marknanrog replied to Tomato05's response:
I like what TotallyWigged Out said about this being about learning to know ourselves, what works and what can be maintained for a life time. I never tell myself that a food is off limits. I watch portions and try to eat less sweets. I read that it helps to just tell yourself "you can have that later" rather than "no". Sometimes the later doesn't come. But if it does, that's ok. Since I love sweets it would be unrealistic to think I can totally cut them out. Really tracking what I eat is helping me again. I weigh everyday and am gradually going down again - within 1 lb of the "normal" range. I can hardly wait to cross that line!!!

ausgram replied to marknanrog's response:
Well, here it is almost a year later and I weigh 10 more pounds. Found out I have thyroid problems now. I have cut way back on my eating and I have been walking every day on my tredmill, to no avail. I'm totally bummed.

totallywiggedout replied to ausgram's response:
Ok, Aus, what's up with this??
7 months ago, you started out tracking on Fitday.com. Have you been religious about the logging? and did you up your daily exercise as recommended?
You have gained a plus10 so now you need to lose approx 50. It's not a rule but maybe it was for you, please come to the 50-100 weightloss comm site. A lot of us log in daily and just say hi and blog about whatever is going on and read other's input... We whine and carry on at times too, lol. It's all in great fun, because we have truly become a "community" of journiers.
If you still don't want to come to that site, just let me know what a TRUE day's intake for you is... and what exercise you do on a normal basis. There is something there that you may not be counting, like coffee creamer, or that little dab of butter, or if you cook, EVERY taste you take while cooking, you MUST add in those calories.... I do 8 cals a taste, I'll tell you what, doing that, I cut WAY down on my "tasting" while cooking.
It's up to you of course, but why not give the other community a try? We are really supportive and you can and will get daily feedback if you log in.
huggs
kim

http://exchanges.webmd.com/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
oh crud! I have to count creamer, too? What about toe nails?

totallywiggedout replied to brunosbud's response:
LOL, Bruno, stop that..... hmmmm but I wonder, just how many calories toe nails actually have....maybe we should google it??
kim

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Tips
Anyone else try the HCG Diet ? I tried the hcg diet and lost 18lbs in 30 days. Anyone else have any results? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.