Skip to content

Announcements

Getting weighed at the doctor?
anna_bugz posted:
I'm not quite sure where to post this question, so I'll try here. For some background, I have PCOS and gain weight very easily. On top of it I have a large baseline body mass-- I'm only 5'4", but at my most thin and fit with a flat stomach and my b-cup bras getting too big, I weighed 1160 lbs. At my most unfit I'm 185 and wear a size 14. My whole adult life I've been a fitness nut, working out several days a week very intensely, an active runner, and always walking and biking where I need to go. I believe in eating intuitively when I'm hungry, so I don't ever diet. I do have a few eating "rules" for myself because I have to with PCOS-- mostly I refrain from eating sugar or white carbs in the house or at the office, try to get a lot of protein and good fats, and otherwise eat intuitively. I also take Adderall for ADHD, so often it is very difficult for me to eat enough so I have a fairly low calorie diet as well (probably about 1200). Sometimes I weigh myself at home, but given that I am extremely healthy and intune with my body, I don't really think it's important.

Because I am so heavy, no matter how fit or healthy I am, doctors always comment on my weight or BMI and will often refer me to nutrititionists, ask me for the details of my fitness routine, etc. It's as if they are testing me even though they can see by looking at me that I am not overweight and have great muscle tone. This could be my PCP or my gynocologist and I might be there for some reason completely unrelated to my weight. I see an endocrinologist for PCOS every 6 months to a year, and at those visits I get weighed, talk about my diet and fitness level, and have complete blood work ups for blood glucose, cholesterol, hormone levels, ect. Every once in a while the endocrinologist also tests for thyroid problems, which I have never had. I consistently have far below average bad cholesterol, far above average good cholesterol, perfect blood glucose levels, and there's never been a nurse that hasn't commented on how good my blood pressure is. The results of these medical tests rarely fluctuate even if have gained weight or am relatively out of shape.

Because I get such complete exams at the endocrinologist, I don't feel like it's important to talk about my weight with the PCP or the OBGYN. In the past I have politely stated that my preference is to not be weighed at the appointment. The nurse usually insists though, so I ask to close my eyes and not be told what my weight is. Almost without fail though, the doctor will come in reading the chart, tell me what my weight is, and want to talk about it. I just do not want to know what my weight is because I feel like it is just a number. If it is low it will seem normal to me but if it happens to be higher than I would expect, it can only make me feel bad about myself. Psychologically, it just goes back to when I was very tall, early developed kid and I weighed myself every night and cried myself to sleep. I don't see why the doctors have to know about it either, since I am clearly very healthy. They don't care what my height is, why would they care about my weight?

I am especially concerned about this now because 6 months ago I started a new job with a weird schedule and have been barely been able to get my workouts in. I've gained weight (mostly in my stomach--good old PCOS), lost tone, and gone up about 1 and a half clothing sizes, despite being very careful about what I eat. For the past six months this has caused me huge amounts of anxiety, less because I have gained weight but mostly because I don't like being out of shape and just don't feel good without exercise. Every day I plan exercise into my schedule, but it most often doesn't happen and it causes me much stress. I have a gyno appointment today and the last thing I need is to talk about this or know my weight. Can I request not to be weighed?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Absolutely! No one can wrestle you onto the scale, right?

I think the bigger issue here is managing your stress and getting back into a healthy routine. PCOS is a very tough barrier to face and it sounds like you have done an excellent job living with it and having a healthy lifestyle.

Now it's time to take a deep breath, put on your shoes and get in a work out today - or tomorrow - no matter what!

Please keep checking in here - you sound so positive and motivated, I know you can be a great asset to others who come here with PCOS issues!

(((hugs))) to you and good luck at your appointment!

Haylen

anna_bugz replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your advice. I went to the doctor and when the nurse asked to stand on the scale I said, "I actually would prefer not to weigh myself today" and she said, "ok that's fine." She was the first nurse that hasn't given me a problem! The doctor only mentioned fitness because I didn't know what to write on my questionaire were it said, "do you exercise? How? How often?"

My problem with getting back in shape is very complicated. My whole life I have worked out before work in the morning. At my current job though I have to be at work between 7 and 7:30 (there's no real reason for it, it's just what they do there). Thus, even if I can get myself up at 5 (no small task and also requires getting myself to sleep before 9:30), the gym doesn't open until 5:30, so I have 45 minutes max to work out, which isn't enough time to get in a full work out and really isn't enough time to, in my head at least, justify getting out of bed.

So I usually tell myself I'll go after work. I don't know why I do this, because I have never been able to go after work. My gym is packed by the time I can get there at 5. It's a very stressful, hot, smelly environment. Plus, my body does not like it at all. If I go after work, I've already taken my medications in the morning, which makes me slightly nauseous and very, very hungry because I find it very difficult to eat much that soon after taking Adderall. If I do manage to eat a salad, I get extreme stomach cramps and bloating, and a few hours is not enough for me to digest. It's just my stomach, it has always given me these problems. So I will often show up at the gym after work, get tired of waiting for space and equipment to open up, get stressed out by the crowd, and either have no food in my stomach, feel nauseous, or have painful stomach cramps. I often leave without working out at all or after giving up after a few minutes.

So I've concluded that I have to go to the gym in the morning for a short, intense work out, and then try to do something small in the afternoon. I just can't get myself wake up (I can't seem to think rationally at 5am!) or there's something going on that I can't be late for work. It is so frustrating, and I have been working forever to come up with a solution, and trying and failing over and over. Any suggestions?

seeit2 replied to anna_bugz's response:
I used to get up at 4:30 to get to the gym by 5:00am. I learned the name of the guy at the gym who checked me in every morning, (and he knew mine), and when I left I would say "see ya tomorrow!" and then when I laid in bed the next morning thinking I wouldn't go, I'd remind myself that Jerry was waiting for me. It was all in my head but it got me motivated, not letting a total stranger down lol.
I also visualized every night before I went to bed - I'll wake up, get dressed in workout clothes (laid them out), make a cup of coffee for the drive there, etc...all the way into the gym and through my workout. THen I'd visualize it again when I woke up, and the whole thing became a habit after awhile.
HTH
Deb

anna_bugz replied to seeit2's response:
Thanks See it2. I think my main problem is a get really stressed about it and when I know I have to work out so early, I can't sleep! I also have a real problem with perfectionism, especially when it comes to fitness. When I'm out of shape and only have 45 minutes to squeeze it in, I get so anxious in anticipation of my work out I end up psyching myself out of it both mentally and physically. One night I had the idea that instead of running intervals on the treadmill as I usually start my work outs, I would start with jump rope and push up supersets and move into my usual plyometric work out. This made me feel far less stressed because running sprints that early in the morning seems to be the source of a lot of my anxiety, especially since I'm out of shape. But then I realized that there are classes at my gym at 5:30, and the only place one can jump rope is in the classroom. That made me feel really dejected and now I'm back to not wanting to go.

anna_bugz replied to seeit2's response:
P.S. I know what you mean about having someone there that will (in theory) know that you've skipped a day. That's where I think personal trainers really add value--not only do you HAVE to get up for sessions, when they're over and you know that trainer is there you want to impress them. It's a bummer that I can't afford a trainer now, it would really help to just get me there!

Vamp19 responded:
I know what you mean about not wanting to be weighed in at the doctors office. Even when I am at my healthiest weight, I find it humiliating. I haven't been weighed by a nurse in over 20 years. I just say that I weighed myself this morning and the number is.... They have never taken issue with that. Good luck on your journey.

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.