Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

New to dieting
dkjgray posted:
I am 56 years old and have never really had trouble with my weight before, but since the beginning of this year I have put on13 lbs with no explanation for it. I haven't changed any medication, foods, exercise (In fact, since the weight kept coming on, I have started interval walking/jogging to try and stop it) I have tried to explain my concern to my doctor, but since I am not overweight, he just brushes me off. He has retested my thyroid, and my current dosage is still fine there. I had a hysterectomy 12 yrs ago, so menopause is not a factor either. I stopped HRT years ago. My current food intake is something like this: Breakfast-2 cups of coffe, 8 oz milk, small banana or hard boiled egg
Lunch- Salad or raw veggies and watermelon slice
Supper-Meat, more veggies
Snacks-almonds, sometimes beef jerkey, raw veggies
What am I doing wrong? I don't have much experience in actual dieting.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dkjgray responded:
I forgot to mention, I am 5'10" tall and currently 160 lbs, if that makes any difference.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm glad you found us!

It sounds like you have a very healthy life style - congrats on maintaining a healthy weight. Unfortunately, those who have never had problems losing or maintaining weight can see a change in their 40s and beyond.

Madelyn H. Fernstrom, Ph.D., director of the Weight Management Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. "Your metabolism slows by 5 percent each decade. Compared to age 25, you'll burn about 100 fewer calories a day at 35 and 200 fewer at 45. Do nothing, and you could gain eight to 12 pounds a year. " I'm surprised your doctor didn't discuss this with you!

Here is an article that can give you suggestions to jump start your metabolism and get back to your fighting weight:

Boost Metabolism and Avoid Middle Age Weight Gain

Also, check out our fabulous expert's blog - she frequently explores weight gain and aging:

Everyday Fitness with Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Another option could be checking in with a dietician to go over your food choices and help adjust to get you losing.

Best of luck to you!

Haylen

flagini responded:
Oh you are suddenly experiencing mid life weight gain and it really is much more difficult to lose than when you were younger. My experience, at 63, has taught me that instead of over eating you may well be under eating, believe it or not. Looking at your meals shows me that, based on my experience, you are not eating enough protein. I am 5'2 and my ideal weight for a size 4 - 6 is 130 lbs. so at your height and weight you are so not overweight!!! I found to lose weight I needed to have an average of 1200 calories a day, have low fat protein with all meals and limit fruit which is high in sugar.
Good luck!!

dkjgray replied to flagini's response:
flagini-I thought it might be mid life weight gain, but the suddenness of it startled me.
Sometimes I have peanut butter on my celery at lunch, which is protein, but I have to watch the calories there. The almonds are also protein, I believe, as is the meat which I have for my supper. I keep my caloric intake between 1200-1500 for the day, and I do interval walking/jogging as my main exercise 6 mornings a week for approx 30 minutes each day. I have lost 4 lbs since July 2, so it appears to be working. If I can lose another 4 lbs and keep them off, I will be happy. I just need help in knowing what and how and how to eat.

tcb108lady responded:
Welcome to menopause....your metabolism has slowed w/each decade...and NOW, no menses = even slower metabolism! Increase your exercise a bit more, & as an unprofessional, but a LIFETIME dieter....you don't have much protein in your typical daily menu!! Protein helps keep your muscles, which help burn the fat! Good luck!

tcb108lady replied to dkjgray's response:
nuts & nut butters are great & healthy, in moderation....but they ARE A FAT too! I don't recall seeing seafood/fish in your sample daily menu. Seafood is a great lowfat, healthy protein. Since you ARE seeing a result with weight loss, and you aren't fat/overweight....I just don't see what the problem is! Keep up the good work & continue to strive & be healthy into the second half of your life!

dkjgray replied to tcb108lady's response:
tcb108lady-I was just concerned with this year, all of a sudden putting on 14 lbs, from January to July without any change in my eating or exercising habits. Menopause is not a factor, since I had a hysterectomy in 2000. I am not overweight, but I would like to keep it that way, and, like I mentioned before, have added interval walking/jogging to my exercise routine and it has been working for me. I do substitute fish for meat in some of my supper meals, but would like some more suggestions for protein for the other meals. Thanks for all of the replies!

bella2847 replied to dkjgray's response:
The same happened to me when I was about 52, I'm 61 now.
I was always a size 6 or 8 (5'4"), slim/athletic build, and went through menopause at 43 & was on hrt. I recall suddenly feeling like I'd been puffed up with air ~ my waist/breasts/frame. I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago, yet still had a slim waist. That's gone. I have the same eating habits as you do, and (unless it's brutally hot) walk at least 4/5 times a week for 30mins, and do strengthening exercises at home. Some of the weight I put on, was due to stress, and then my metabolism slowing down without exercising as much.
I started to take Biotin a few months ago (as well eat the foods with it). 2,000 mcgs every other day, which increases my metabolism (& energy), it's amazing! I feel so much better taking it & together with healthy eating & exercise (i could do more), have lost some weight. Thanks for this thread.

dkjgray replied to bella2847's response:
bella2847-Thank you for your reply. I checked out the Biotin supplement online and thought I might benefit from it, so I ordered some. It said it was good for brittle nails and hair that wouldn't grow, and those are two problems that I've had for a long time, so maybe it will help with those issues too. I take calcium and vitamin D but I don't really know much about supplements, so I'm clueless unless someone here can fill me in. I take a host of other meds for various health problems though.

bella2847 replied to dkjgray's response:
dkjgray, You're welcome. I think you'll be happy with the Biotin. It was my neighbour who specialized in nutrition & supplements in women, who told me about this, and YES, it's great for brittle nails & hair. I am going to start eating JELLO (the wiggly stuff) as well, the geletin is also good for nails.Calcium & Vit D are good.

I also take Omega 3 (fish oil), as well as Vit.A & E, you might want to read up on those. Each morning I have 1pkg of Emergen-C which has major anti-oxidants, Vit C & many B vitamins. Some of these you can just eat the 'foods' that have the Vitamin in it, others you might want to double up with supplements. I too am on mediation for anxiety & I have puffers for my asthma.

I have to start walking again, 20mins. a day, cause I know that exercise plays a huge role in our weight ~ not exercising as much also contributed to me gaining while my metabolism slowed down. Sometimes it's such a 'fight' to get out and walk, especially with the heat we've been having. Maybe one day there'll be 'one pill' for women over 50!! LOL!!

kamrul_786 responded:
This post is very important for me .

kamrul_786 responded:
This post is very important for me .

dddddav59 responded:
my experience is that the body simply gets more effcient. it stores as fat what it would have burned off in earlier years

dkjgray replied to dddddav59's response:
Well, an update here. I've been dieting and watching my calories for almost 5 weeks. I've been doing interval walking/running since the end of June. I have lost 6 lbs since July 2, and feel pretty good. A couple more lbs would be nice, but more importantly, just to keep up the walking/running will be my goal as well as to add strength training exercises.

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.