Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

my 100 lbs. weight loss journey
obesebutlosing posted:
hello ~ i'm new here. my name is lisa. i've been on a journey for the past 5 weeks & have loss 9.2 lbs. my original goal was to lose 100 lbs. by next june ; so i think i'm on the right track. what has helped me is : 1. set a target goal 2. set a target date 3. tracking my calories/set a specific # of calories & no, lower is NOT better. i go with 1,800 calories per day & i'm doing fine. 4. keep a daily food journal/planning my meals 5. move ; anytime i can move, i'll do it.
i started off by simply walking, then worked other movements or
exercises into my day or weekly activities. just going to the park
& walking, even doing laundry, etc. as i said ; anything that requires
me to move. it may take a little effort if you've somewhat of a couch
potato or have health issues. but take it slow ~ everything SLOW.
ease into moving or exercising & new eating habits. don't buy into
the lie that unless you're losing 10 lbs. a week, that you're not
accomplishing something. don't buy into the lie that you have to
eat only 500 calories per day or starve yourself. that is not a wise
or healthy way to lose weight. i hope my post helps someone else. have a great day !!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Lisa and welcome -

Congrats on your weight loss and even more on your great attitude!

What prompted you to set your goals and get going? I'm looking forward to getting to know you better

Haylen

totallywiggedout responded:
It's the truth here, folks! This girl knows where it's AT when it comes to personal journeys. Congrats , you sound like you have your head firmly attached to your shoulders. The only thing I want to stress, is that plateaus WILL happen along the way. I started out in Jan and I too wanted to lose my 109 lbs by Jan (or Feb) . With the plateaus, not sure I'll make it, with the success I've already had, know DARNED WELL that I won't quit till I do no matter how long it takes me. Just be flexible with your goal times. Too stringent and you may feel overwhelmed and quit. Just stick with it through the slow times.
I found, while going through my first plateau, that it helped to measure my losses a different way. I took down the measurements of rt and lft wrists, upper arms, ankles, and calves, also my bust, waist , hips and lower tummy at biggest spot. Measure once a month or so.
Because even if you arent losing weight on the scales, you are losing INCHES. I have lost a total of 14 3/4 inches when all target areas are added together.
So just stay strong and don't lose your focus. You'll get there in your own time.
Kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

obesebutlosing replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
hello haylen ~ thank you for nice re. these are the reasons that i chose to get serious about losing weight : 1. tired of trying to carry around so much extra weight 2. my abs/ stomach just kept getting bigger 3. my knees/legs ached so much sometimes 4. my clothes selection was limited b/c of my size. i started on my weight loss journey the day after my
young grandson's birthday party. i decided to get serious about losing weight & decided that by his next birthday ;
i'd be 100 lbs. lighter. my plan's to go from a size 20/22 to
a size 10/12. i had to admit a couple of things : 1. i'm an emotional eater 2. i'm a compulsive eater ~ so this is my journey to "intentional" eating. again have a great day !!

obesebutlosing replied to totallywiggedout's response:
hello kim ~ thank you for nice comments.yes, 1 week i'd lost 3 lbs., next week i gained a pound ; then following week, i'd
lost another 3. so it was a bit of a roller coaster. but that's 1
reason why i weigh myself only once a week. as far as the
morning i stepped on the scale & it read i'd gained a pound ; when i know that i'd been getting enough exercise & watching my food intake ~ so at first i was kind of bummed. then i remembered that i'd heard while i was losing weight, i'm building muscle & muscle weighs more than fat. although my eating has been good ~ i need alot of improvement. i need to drink much, much more water & less diet soda.i need to eat much more fruits, veggies & salad. those simple changes will go a long way to lower the numbers on my scale. yes, i do notice things ; such as my clothes are looser, ( in fact i had to give some away ), it's much easier for me to breathe & move. i don't have chest pains, knee/leg pain anymore. i have
changed certain rountine's ; such as watching t.v. & snacking
always went hand in hand. i loved cheetos & would set &
watch t.v & eat at least half the bag almost every other night.
i've totally cut that habit out. in fact, after an early dinner, i
may have a snack of low fat pudding or popcorn. something
of that nature. oh speaking of dinner. i use to skip breakfast
or eat junk. lunch generally the same thing ; then "dinner"
would be the cheetos or half box of cookies, etc. so the day
i started on my 100 lbs. weight loss journey i seriously commited myself to PLANNING my meals/snacks & tracking my calories. i can not express how much it's helped me. have a great day !!

totallywiggedout replied to obesebutlosing's response:
For sure , skipping meals so you can eat the crappy stuff just doesn't work. Sounds like you have found that out.
I'm not a salad eater, but I do like my finger foods. So I do sliced cukes, baby carrots, cauliflower, stuff like that. Then with lettuces I use those to wrap my sandwich stuff in. Like chunky chicken salad or Tuna wrapped in romaine leaves to add my roughage and cut some carbs and a LOT of calories.
Now fruits I'll eat any, any way I can get them. I've been doing smoothies with solid packed pumpkin also, which taste like pumpkin pie in a glass, lol. Great fiber content and lots of other nutrients in it too.
If you need some recipe ideas check out the 50-100 diet community here on WebMD here's the link
http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523
for that matter , it's a great group to join in with . Very helpful, very active. VERY VERY neighborly. We share everything on that site, lol.
come join in if you wish
Kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

SeashellAnnie65 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Dear Obesebutlosing,
Thank you for your honesty. I feel like we are connected. You said everything I would say about myself. I too, am on a journey to lose 100 pounds. I started 39 days ago and have lost 15 pounds. I agree that going too low on calories will not work and encourages cheating or worse, quitting. I wish you all the luck in your journey. I want to fit into an airline seat to go home and visit my grandchildren. I keep track of my meals on myfitnesspal.com
and my walks on mapmywalk.com. I feel like I am in my own version of the Olympics. We can do this!
Annie

brunosbud responded:
Wow. Very impressive. Keep doing what you're doing! One tip you may consider: I used a backpack and placed a book(s) to compensate for the lost weight as I got thinner since I did not want to walk farther or for longer periods. It will build more core strength. Losing weight while retaining muscle is the key to long term weight loss (see gastric bypass)...otherwise, "it" will probably come back.

obesebutlosing replied to brunosbud's response:
good morning brunosbud ~ oh thanks for the great tip to carry a backpack w/books to build core strength. i'm going to do it !! i appreciate any tips/suggestions. we can all learn from each other on our "journey's" !! have a good day !!

RamyRomio replied to obesebutlosing's response:
My starting goal was 100. I started at 235, got down to 155 last summer and then started working on another degree in college and starting gaining it back. I think I'm somewhere around 190. Still trying to get down to 135 and hit that hundred pound mark. Feel free to add me!!!!

Herbsonline

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
199 of 244 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.