Skip to content
Fruit Juice
brunosbud posted:
"I stupidly went down the juice-as-a-main-beverage path and now (she) thinks water is the devil's juice."

"Especially when my children were little, they never wanted to drink water and, now, you're watching your kid running around thinking, 'They're thirsty, they need something to drink!' And they're so headstrong at that age. So you give them juice."

"One of the biggest challenges parents face is trying to get kids to drink water early on," says Dr. TJ Gold, a pediatrician at New York City based Tribeca Pediatrics .

Artificially sweetened fruit juices (punch, *****ade or OJ) are, unequivocally, one of the worst things you can feed a child...

or anyone of any age...
pec517 responded:
I have never been crazy about straight plain old water, so I buy soda water or carbonated water and just put in a splash of juice to spice it up. That would surely work with children.

deadmanwalking57 responded:
Buy what you want your children to drink. If you drink healthy, give them the same. No choices. When they are thirsty enough, they will drink what is in the house. They will lose their sugar addiction.

Even better, give them diluted juice always two or three parts water to juice. They will learn to dislike sweeter drinks. Also less calories.

Have fruit in the house. If thirsty, slice up some fruit or give them berries. Grow your own.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
227 of 272 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.