Skip to content

Announcements

The Best Weight Loss Tip...
brunosbud posted:
Here's the questions...

1. What constitutes a "healthy" diet?
2. How much exercise do I need to lose weight?
3. How much water should I drink each day?
4. How important is sleep and how do I know if I'm getting enough?

and, a few more...

5. How much alcohol is safe to consume?
6. How do I know if I'm over-medicated, over-supplemented or over-vitamented? Could I be poisoning, myself?
7. When should I take antibiotics and are they safe?
8. Can plastic leech unsafe chemicals into the food and bottled beverages I consume? Can process food containment turn a healthy food into an unhealthy food?
9. How does my body change with age and what effect do these changes have on weight loss?
10. How do I know if I have too much stress, what effect does stress have on my body and what can I do to relieve stress?
11. Can preservatives and artificial sweeteners impact the proper functioning of my body?
12. How safe are the "topicals" I place on my skin, hair, teeth, eyes and nails & can they be leeching chemicals that can harm my health?
13. What causes "insulin insensitivity" (and why should I even care)?

Before you even embark on a weight loss program, you need to establish some sensible guidelines and rules. Bad plans lead to failure so doesn't it make sense to begin your weight loss program with a good plan? It's assumed that weight loss is "hard" because few succeed. Very few pinpoint weight loss failure due to crappy planning and bogus information.

The biggest problem I see on this board is a basic lack of health education. The second biggest problem I see on this board is the assumption that doctors will tell us what we need to know.

What's the Best Weight Loss "Tip"?

Stop assuming everything is "safe" (just because you see it in a store)!

For our children's sake, please stop relying on "tips" and teach them healthy fundamentals, instead.

Because, without a good health plan, how successful do you expect them to be?

PS: One more question...With the drought that's sweeping our country and destroying farm crops, how will that impact the quality of the food at the "healthy" restaurants I regularly eat at?

deadmanwalking57 responded:
I'll take a shot at short answers. There should be multiple questions.

Best Weight loss tip ? Buy a scale, and make sure your weight is the same or lower each week.

How to control or lose weight? First, start to become more active, even if it is only walking. If you are heavy, you will get stronger, build muscle, and begin to use more fat for energy.

A co-worker went from 340 lbs to 170 in 3 years with this simple plan.
----------------------
a healthy diet for a healthy normal weight person is has about 4 ounces of protein 3 times a day, and a variety of complex carbs, plus fruits and vegetables. Stable weight will maintain.
----------------------
Exercise is recommended at 2,200 calories a week, equal to three one mile walks daily of 15 to 20 minutes.

Exercise to lose weight involves diet portion control. You can't lose weight if you are still gaining by over-eating. Keep a food and weight diary for one month, so you know what you eat and if your weight is going up. Different people have different metabolisms. Know your body.

Once your weight is stable, any amount of exercise will help you slowly lose weight. Its much easier to eat 3000 calories extra in a day, than to exercise off 3,000 calories in a week. So hand to mouth exercise reduction with a fork is the first thing to think about. Doing LESS.
---------------------------
About eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. Or juice or tea or coffee. Do not force down extra liquid.
You get enough sleep if you do not need an alarm clock, and wake up at the same time every day.
for a small person, 1 glass of wine a day, a large person, two.
Or any single serving as a glass. Wine is a glass at five ounces, not 10.
Eat a balanced diet, you'll hardly need any medications or vitamins.
take antibiotics when a doctor tells you to. All of them.
Eat fresh foods when possible. the were containers the better.
If it smells odd, its not good news.
no hydrogenated oils. none. Its the additives more than the packaging.
-----------------------------
the less stress the better. pure and simple.
----------------------------
with age you will lose muscle and fat. The muscle loss will slow your metabolism, and make life difficult. So exercise to slow that down. Dress warmer.
-----------------------------
Personally, I found eating a very low fat diet for heart disease boosted my immune system. your mileage may vary.
Eat colorful fruits and veggies, herbs and spices. Not much meat. Fresh food when possible. Move. You'll be dead and buried sooner if you don't.
--------------------------
When you diet, you lower your body's metabolism. It will not go up unless you build lots of muscle, so weight gain will occur faster. That's why slim people who exercise can eat and eat to keep from losing weight.
Don't worry about drought. Worry about eating healthy foods in moderation, and getting enough exercise to help you sleep soundly, and have energy for a fun life.

brunosbud replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Thank you for your comments. All, quite excellent. Kudos.

As a general observation, people, today, have an insufficient amount of muscle on their body...

As a result, fat tends to collect and remain. As a result, they become overweight.

Post after post, I read the same comment: "I hardly eat, I exercise all the time, yet, I can't lose a pound..."

Of course! All they focus on are calories...All they focus on is what to eat..they all talk about exercise...

But, there's no talk of building muscle mass..."Oh, I don't want to look too muscular..."

The problem most people have on "Diet" boards is they tend to lose too much muscle when they lose weight. In a successful weight loss program, muscle must be retained at all cost. Muscle is essential to stabilizing and controlling weight...

Look at what happens to people that have had Gastric Bypass surgery....They drop 100-200 pounds in less than 24 months and then what? Train wreck...Post after post, the same train wreck, over and over, again. Why?

They were so enamored at dropping 3 pounds a week, without maintaining a vigorous muscle maintenance program...In the end, they lost all the valuable muscle needed to stabilize their body weight. Their bodies, composition-wise, is completely unbalanced.

Dr. Peeke is correct when she says its a reduction of % body fat that's the goal; not weight loss.

Body builders, routinely, shed as much as 8-10% bodyfat in a three month training period just before a big meet. If you examine how they do this, it is nothing like what 99% of the people who frequent these boards do. Not even remotely close...

and, yet, this is how it should be, because it is muscle that prevents insulin insensitivity...and, that in turn, prevents Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity.

A final comment...We must make PE, mandatory, K-12. We must prevent idiot parents from preventing the re-institution of
daily exercise and sports in our schools. As a society, as it pertains to health, we must acknowledge that we don't know what the hell we're doing and simply take it on faith...

It is essential kids build muscle during their developing years.

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
PS: If I were to design the ultimate weight loss pill, it would not suppress appetite, it would not block fat, nor, would make me full and sated after a few bites...

My weight loss pill would build muscle.

How many athletes at these London Olympic Games are obese or have Type 2 Diabetes?

Its all about muscle, baby.

mommaxeli responded:
I mostly lurk, but felt an urge to chime in...

I wish I'd known about muscle loss when first starting out 1.5 years ago. I dove into it like most women: eating a ridiculously low amount of calories while doing cardio until I puked. Rinse. Repeat. Who needs weights? I didn't want to look like a man, after all! And it worked. I lost 105 pounds.

Lo and behold, 105 pounds less of me, and I was not happy with my sloppy, floppy body. Not exactly what I'd envisioned my body looking like after so much work.

I did some research. Found out AFTER the fact that if not done right, 20-30% of weight loss can come from muscle! What?! I'd lost 20-30 pounds of muscle? No wonder. I was weak. And grumpy. And HATED my new-found body.

I am proud to say I have not lost a SINGLE pound since January! Inches? Yes! (gained in some places...) Clothing size? Went down two! I fell in love with my upper arms, which have always been an embarassment of mine. I have muscles! And I don't look like a man Loose skin is tightening up, giving me hope that I won't need a tummy tuck after all. I've stopped the affair with my scale. And I EAT! It's wonderful. No more starving. No more obsessing over every little calorie. I can eat, without guilt, because I know I'm eating good, healthy foods that are going to repair my body.

All this because I started weight lifting.

I don't even care if I lose my last 10 pounds to get to my "goal". The only weight I care about is what's on the end of my barbell.

So my best weight loss tip?

Pick up something heavy. Put it down. Pick it up again

And I'm not talking piddly little dumbbells! I started with them but moved on quickly. I'm pretty sure I could give an average man a run for his money in the weight room now. Though look a lot better doing it

SW: 260 CW: 155 GW:145.

deadmanwalking57 replied to mommaxeli's response:
MommaXeli:

Thank you so much for contributing. That is perhaps the best success post I have ever read.

Unless a woman is XXY, or takes steroids, or otherwise has excess testosterone, she can not become manly in musculature. It ... just ... won't ... happen.

The safest weight training adds about 5% in weight every three weeks. Joint and connective tissue then gain in fibrous connective capacity, and people won't risk muscle tears or tears in connective tissue from the muscle or the bone.

If that seems too little, it isn't since it will allow you to double in strength year by year. Injuries cause people to lose about 3% or so of strength week by week. So better to avoid injury and setbacks, and just keep improving. Once people get hurt, they seldom back off enough, and re-injury then becomes the pattern. They then give up and think they can no longer train.

Over 50, recovery takes more like three days, than two as when younger, so the 5% period may be more like 4 weeks, and strength building is just 50% a year.

I am just getting past a hernia and repair surgery, my first major setback in 6 years after bypass surgery. Eight weeks backing off my routine, then 8 more weeks letting the incision heal. So 16 weeks first slowing down, then doing very little. Using my 3% a week formula, that translates to about a 50% training loss. And wakes me up to being very careful as I hit my cardio and weight work again. Makes sense. Two years ago I could shoot baskets and run around and it took an hour to get tired. Last week I was tired in just under 30 minutes doing the same thing. So I am on a 1 year recovery to get where I was pre hernia, safely.

MommaXeli:

Don't be afraid of a scale. You actually should be fascinated by your drop in bodyfat and muscle gain, and be proud of it. Women worry about the pounds instead of the percent body fat they have. The lower your body fat, in a normal range, the better you look, but you will also weigh more than another woman who appears bigger than you, since she is fluffy fat and and you are an athletic fit new woman.

Fat is about three times bulkier than muscle. So even if you gained 10 lbs of muscle, you likely lost 20 lbs of fat in the process, and have lost five times the bulk in fat relative to the muscle you gained.

So know your weight, and body fat percentage, and be proud of both. Too many women need lower body fat and more muscle.

jis4judy replied to mommaxeli's response:
Hi Mommaxeli
what a great post weight lifting is the key to maintainance
I think because building some muscles can help you burn more calories thats a winner
I am all for starting slowly in weight lifting and being aware of form because if done wrong you can injure yourself
great thread overall
deadman walking and Bruno have some great input too
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

deadmanwalking57 replied to brunosbud's response:
The problem is too many people who don't know anything talk too much and too loud. 1st Amendment rights.

The 1st Amendment needs to be modified to somehow penalize
stating things that are not true. In less polite circles, its called lying, misinformation, manipulation, or propaganda. And people resent it. People can be ridiculed and ostracized for being wrong.

But here being right or telling the truth is mocked and ridiculed way too much of the time.

deadmanwalking57 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy !!

brunosbud replied to mommaxeli's response:
Astonishing post. Dead solid perfect. Thanks, mommaxell.

deadmanwalking57 replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Regarding strength loss during time off, vs cardio.

I used my rowing machine for the first time since early June.

Tired in less time, 25 minutes or so, but strength was pretty good, much higher than expected. All the rest was at least good for all other things to be fully healed.

Without tiring, I started out with less warm-up, and still felt strong, but my heart rate was higher in that period by 10 beats or so. But using dumbbells, I can definitely tell the individual loss of strength in my arms and shoulders, and know my legs are weaker, too.

I have to be patient to climb back to the previous fitness level, which was pretty high.

mommaxeli replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks.

I've learned so much over the last 18 months. I don't answer on here often because I don't even know where to start! And most of the time, people don't really want to hear how I've done it because it doesn't involve a quick fix.

But if this post can urge even one person to pick up some weights, then good!
SW: 260 CW: 155 GW:145.

Momma Xeli:

Down 105 pounds. EXCELLENT !

Have a goal look, and to feel great and energetic. Women tend to want to weigh too little. Remember if more athletic, you are going to be a little heavier but slimmer than a wimpy woman with more bodyfat. Strong muscular thighs, but relaxed so with smoother lines can be far sexier than excessively slim legs.

Good energy and strong posture are incredibly sexy.

You should just begin to describe what you did. But you could or should start your own weight loss and exercise community forum. Don't be shy. With 70% of the population severely overweight, your story and methods need to be available, and you with answers, just as I am. Hopefully using good sound methods.

DMW

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
Obesity Paradox: Thin Not in for Type 2 Diabetes?http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20120807/obesity-paradox-thin-not-in-for-type-2-diabetes?page=2

"...One is body composition -- the ratio of fat to muscle. Muscle is critical to controlling blood sugar because it is metabolically active, uses insulin, and burns sugars and calories.
"The muscle-versus-fat ratio is extremely important for diabetes development as well as health outcomes related to diabetes," Carnethon says..."

Although the findings in this study are quite surprising, there is some speculation as to why...

Fitness is more important than fatness. People can be thin but unfit (gastric bypass extreme weight loss) and people can be fat and fit (muscular).

If they substantiate this to be true, then this raises significant hope for people, big or small, of all BMI levels. If you're not sure about becoming active or boosting your level of physical activity because you're afraid of getting hurt, the good news is that moderate-intensity aerobic activity, like brisk walking, is generally safe for most people.

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 54 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.