Skip to content

Announcements

Achilles Tendon Strain nutrition
YouthFootballcoach posted:
My son has injured his tendon training for football. Is there anything nutritionally to help speed his recovery?

totallywiggedout responded:
I thought it was proteins, just wanted to make sure, check this link
http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/9/9_2/nutritional-support-for-s.shtml
For the most part NSAIDS, non steroidal anti inflammatories (OTC or prescribed ibuprofens and such) , plus Ice to decrease swelling, then heat for muscle soreness, will all help. Then gentle stretching when it can be tolerated.
Hope this helps
K
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

deadmanwalking57 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
No heat until there is no swelling. Three days minimum.
Not heat; gentle warmth to stimulate circulation.

better, alternate warmth and cool .

The worst thing is try to speed healing. Then he is more likely to re-injure it, and have to start over.

No tylenol, it slows muscle healing.

YouthFootballcoach responded:
Thanks for your responces. I got the whole RICE thing and nnsaids down. Diet wise we are up on lean protein to help build and support muscle growth. Any ideas on SUPPLIMENTS (Vitamins, Minerals ect) that will help build and repair the injury? He has since bounced right back and is feeling great! Amazing how fast a young body (he's 12) recovers so quickly.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.