Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Sugar
evadb posted:
I heard that men should only intake about 45 grams of sugar each day. I consume about twice that amount. I exercise daily. Ride my bike about 7 miles, lift weights and stretch.
If you are very active doesn't your body burn sugar?

Tomato05 responded:
Yes, your body burns glucose when you exercise, but if that glucose comes from other more useful carbohydrates (with slow-release energy), like veg, fruit, brown rice, oats and other wholegrains, legumes, etc. it will give you longer lasting energy and you will get other nutritional benefits (plenty nutrients) unlike sugar which is "empty calories".
And the sugar causes blood sugar fluctuations which make you hungry and irritable.

brunosbud responded:
Your body burns glucose which, once "sugar" is digested in the stomach, gets converted to glucose.

Active or not, your body, through digestion,
will convert the 90 grams of sugar you consume to provide energy to perform exercise.

A better question would be "Why can too much sugar be bad for you"? but, that's not what you asked...

katurnbow responded:
One thing that is also important to consider is that sugar wreaks havoc on our arteries. If we are damaging the vessels that allow all of the nutrients of our body to be carried what happens when they spring a leak?

You lose the pressure and not everything that needs to get to our heart and lungs makes it.

I think you should be focused on the quality of what you are eating because it sounds like you are doing the other things that are necessary to keep you healthy.

Also we make our lives more complicated than what they need to be so take one of those stresses off your plate and enjoy your life.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi evadb -

Here's an article that has some information about sugar and reasons to regulate your sugar intake.

The Truth About Sugar Can you get addicted to sugar? Do you need to quit it cold turkey? Here are expert answers.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
273 of 338 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.