Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Does adding water to juice change the grams of sugar per serving if consumed by one peron?
amjones02 posted:
if you dilute 1 gallon of juice containing 17 grams of sugar with a gallon of water consumed by one person does it change the grams of sugar consumed by that one person?

brunosbud responded:
I tried this once with gasoline...

Delight_Tabesh responded:
Not if you now drink 2 gallons.

totallywiggedout responded:
Basically, you are cutting your juice 50/50 which is fine, but what the others are trying to tell you is that you are getting half of the sugars PER SERVING that you were. But if you drink the full 2 gallons now, you are still consuming all 17 grams.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

brunosbud responded:
Tropicana Original Orange Juice

28.1 g of sugar per 10 oz serving size
(One US gallon is 128 oz; therefore, 12.8 servings in one gallon)

360 grams of sugar, total, in one gallon

That's equal to 1/7 of a 5 pound bag of sugar. Grab a spoon. Bon Appetit!

Tropicana "Healthy Kids" Orange Juice

22.0g of sugar per 8 oz serving size

352 grams of sugar in one gallon of "healthy " juice

Note how Tropicana identifies this drink as "healthy" for kids by maintaining essentially the same sugar content in the juice but simply changing the serving size.

deadmanwalking57 replied to brunosbud's response:
I drink most juice diluted 2 parts water to one part juice.

For OJ, I dilute 3 to one. Its less sweet, and you can absorb and hold more water in the heat and not need to pee off the excess sugar. The potassium in OJ helps you tolerate heat better, too.

But do NOT drink two gallons a day. Not even one gallon. You risk an electrolyte imbalance, and possibly even death from hyponatremia. Or just make yourself throw up from trying to ingest too much liquid.

Helpful Tips

Fast and easy
I have always found that eating healthy and cutting back on sugary drinks has worked for me. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.