Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please HELP!!
sroberts08 posted:
Hey ya'll so I could really use some advice. I am a stay at home mom who is married with two children one is 3 years old and the other just turned 6 months. My husband is about to join the army and be shipped off to basic in a few months. I refuse to be the overweight wife. Not to mention I feel depressed and my self confidence is gone. I'm 5"11 and weight 275lbs my goal is to get down to 190-180lbs. I just don't know how!! Every time I try and start a diet or workout I end up back tracking and start eating junk again. Even shopping I find that healthy food is so expensive, its cheaper to buy a TV dinner than fruits and veggies. Please I am begging you guys help me learn ways to eat right, and how/when to exercise. I am not a runner at all, I love to fast walk though. I truly appreciate any advice you guys can give. Oh also I have these pills called Hoodia, they are an appetite suppresser, I used the once and it seemed to help. Should I continue to take them? I just feel so stuck and can't get motivated. When I finally have time for myself I am so exhausted and just want to sleep or lay on the couch. Thanks again guys! God Bless You!!

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi sroberts,
It's worrisome to me that you think that you can't afford raw fruits and veggies vs tv dinners, but you are thinking about purchasing diet pills which retail at approx . $35 per month.
Let me remind you that Fruits and veggies are PROVEN to be good , healthy choices that help you succeed in weightloss and that suppliments like Hoodia have little or no actual recorded studies that prove anything about their actual effects on weightloss or appetite suppression. They cannot be and ARE NOT FDA approved because of the lack of scientific proof, so you really have NO idea if they do as they claim or even if they are safe for all users.
Your weightloss choice isn't going to be just for you. If you change the way you make meals and make healthier choices , YOUR CHILDREN will also reap the benefits. They will learn early on how to eat well and right for a healthy lifestyle.
But it has to begin with YOU. Your choices. You are the one who shops . You are the one who prepares the meals. YOU alone have the ability to change your whole family's health for the better.
If you can afford potatoe chips you can afford apples, oranges, grapes, lettuce, etc.
If you can afford chocolate, you can afford Fresh, lower fat meats to prepare meals FROM SCRATCH, so that you don't get all the fats, heavy gravies, unnecessary calories and exhorbinant sodium counts like you would get from tv dinners.
If you can afford cookies, cakes and other sugary, high fat baked (or fried) foods, you can afford lower fat, or fat free dairy products, whole eggs, and better, heart healthy breads, pastas and rices (whole wheat, never anything WHITE)
If you want to , you could.
k
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

mommaxeli responded:
I know with produce prices so "high", it seems processed foods are cheaper. BUT when you add it up, it's not, really. Let's say TV dinners are $1/piece. That's a reasonable, if not low, estimation. You'd buy 4 to feed your family, so spend $4. For the same $4, you could buy one pound of whole-wheat pasta, one jar of sauce, one bag of frozen veggies, and a pint of strawberries. That's a heck of a meal and a LOT better than TV dinners! Plus, if you're eating correct serving sizes, that should last you more than one meal! Another $4 example would be one pound of boneless, skinless chicken, one bag of stir-fry veggies, and a bag of brown rice to make a great stir-fry. Or how about a dozen eggs, fresh bell peppers, and a canteloupe. More than enough to feed your family but still the same price as your other dinners. You have to be creative to stretch your money.
You have to do research, consider options, plan menus. Buy things on sale and in season. Plain, frozen veggies (no salt or sauce added) are nearly as healthy as fresh. If the convenience of processed meals is what you like, try setting aside one afternoon a week to cook all your meals for the week, then freeze them. Then all you have to do at the end of a hectic day is warm it up...much like your TV dinners.
As far as exercise, you have to make it a priority. Use snack time or nap time to squeeze something in. Take the kids along in a stroller or wagon. I myself go for runs after the kids are in bed. When your husband leaves, you will have to get creative, but it's do-able!
And nix the pills. Drinking water or eating a salad can suppress your appetite with no ill effects.
SW: 260 CW: 155 GW:145.

sroberts08 replied to mommaxeli's response:
You ladies open my eyes, thank you very much. I haven't done the research so I always just thought TV dinner were the cheapest route to go. I am definitely going to start looking up recipes on what to cook. I only bought those pills because a Doctor told me it would help, but your right, water and salad will work better and is nature. We all need to become more healthy as a family so thanks again. God Bless You guys!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Simple way to cut out calories
Take one piece of the bread off of sandwiches and eat them "pizza-style." Divide lunch portions in half & only eat half; eat the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.