Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Need tips and info-Quick
LillyLuna25 posted:
Im 15, going to be 16 in a like two weeks, I've always been over weight, and though my mom has tried to make me do more diets than i can count in my life i've never stuck to them. I've never cared. I mean I always knew that if I lost weight I'd have prettier cloths and stuff like that, but I never really cared; well up until now. I'm friends with a guy i really like and I'm pretty sure he would ask me out if I lost at lest a bit of weight. And its not just because of him, I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with my body lately. 
I'm 5 feet, 2 inches, and I weigh 180, I want to know what kind of diet would be good for me. I want one i can stick to. I can do this, I want to, too. I'm tired of my mom and my dad putting me down for not being able to have done it before. I want to prove them wrong. Please help me. 
FirstPrevious12NextLast

deadmanwalking57 responded:
Lilly:

The best diet is not too aggressive. Its safest to lose 2-3 pounds a week, no more. If you can lose 5 lbs a month, in a year you'll be down to 120, and likely be that boy's dream girl. Or of some other boy. Respect yourself, take care of yourself.

Just start by having smaller portions. Not hugely smaller, leave a small amount of food on your plate. Try to reduce simple carbs if you eat them. Reduce or stop eating junk food. Have a piece of fruit every day. Two or three, better.

If your parents don't own a scale, ask them to buy one. You want to know your weight is not going up. Your first goal is to get your weight to level off. For that you want to know how much you can eat without gaining.

Start walking more. Exercise is about doing more than you have been. That is where it starts.

If you eat to maintain weight, then add exercise, you will lose weight. Walking is about 100 calories a mile. 20 minutes each if you can. You can do it.

LillyLuna25 replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Thank you, I'm going to try it.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to LillyLuna25's response:
Happy almost birthday! Sixteen is a great age and a perfect time to make changes to be healthy. Do you have any special plans for your birthday?

Good info from DeadManWalking! I'd also suggest using the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner (it's free!)

You can use the planner to set your personal weight goals and WebMD will calculate calorie recommendations on how to achieve them. Most importantly, you can track your calories and other nutrition information and view your progress.

I know you can do this!!!!!

Haylen

p.s. We also have an excellent Teen Health Center that covers all kinds of topics you might find interesting.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
p.s. Please keep checking back in here for support!

LillyLuna25 responded:
I'll try

LillyLuna25 replied to LillyLuna25's response:
No, I've never had a birthday party before and i really doubt I'll have on this year. I'm going to check out the links you posted haylen; thank you for your support.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Lilly, Happy almost Sweet 16!
It's a rough age. I (just about remember , lol).
Actually, I do remember. I was always overweight too, and right about then I too decided to drop some before my Jr and Sr year. So I started walking. Every evening from 20 min after supper, to just about dark, I'd be out there just walking off the weight.
It's very important to start reading labels on the foods that you eat. You simply cannot just "cut down" on your portions without knowing exactly what a true portion size for that food is. If you have any money at all, the best defense right now, is to buy a small food scale. It is the one thing that might just help you to realize how much you are actually putting into your mouth.
No matter what, focus on HEALTHY foods. Low fat or no fat dairy products, fat free condiments esp if you like mayo or miracle whip, baked not fried ANYTHING, defatted or trimmed red meats and pork with NO gravies and NOT cooked in their own juices (try to grill or broil these if possible to get the fats dripped away from them), boneless skinless chicken breasts which you can cook a million diff ways, tilapia or other fish oven crisped or not coated and NOT fried, canned tuna in water......
Eat FRESH , Eat a RAINBOW everyday
This doesn't mean you HAVE to live on salads either. I have lost about 63 lbs since the last of Dec 2011 and I only eat salad maybe twice a month. I like finger foods like sliced cucumbers, baby carrots, grapes, strawberries etc. To get in my "roughage" and up the nutrition I have my "sandwiches" like tuna salad or low fat meats wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves or stuffed into Half a low fat Pita pocket with baby spinach leaves and sliced apple.
The thing to remember is, that as a teenager, you are still growing. Girls can still get a growth spurt into their early 20s so you don't want to under eat. The absolute lowest recommended daily caloric intake is in the neighborhood of 1200 calories. That means GOOD calories. Not pop, not candy, not chips, not cookies or donuts. NO you CANNOT "save up" your daily calories in order to indulge in crap daily and expect to lose weight and be healthy. BUT you CAN indulge in a goody , say, at the end of the week if you have been good. Or you can try to stretch out the times between food indulgences by doing something else as a reward, like getting your nails done or buying something small and inexpensive that makes you feel pretty, like a new necklace or some earrings.
Like Haylen says, though, start a food and fitness planner for yourself. That way you will KNOW what to shoot for every day for calories and exercise.
Remember, you have been overweight FOR YEARS don't kid yourself into thinking that you can diet and lose weight quickly and still do it healthfully. You simply can't. It takes time to gain weight and it takes time to lose it.
Keep posting it helps to have support.
huggs
K
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

LillyLuna25 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you, those are some really helpful tips, I'm going to start walking after every meal, atlest for 5 minutes and if I don't have time for it I planning to do ten sit-ups for every minute i would have walked. After a week i'm going to start adding more minutes.

brunosbud responded:
Dear Lilly,
I have no words of advice on weight loss but I do have an observation I'd like to share:

I think you write, beautifully...

Your two brief paragraphs are amazingly informative and insightful. It takes great skill to be able to convert one' s feelings and thoughts into words. Yet, you do it so effortlessly and with a directness and honesty that, quite frankly, humbles me...and, you're not even 16? Yikes! Let me just say, if I was your dad, I would be very proud to have a daughter so gifted and smart.

I hope that boy, the one you like, asks you out...
I, also, hope you lose some weight because, no question, it's the wise move...
But, most of all, Lilly, I hope you go to college and continue to hone that obvious & outstanding skill of yours into something very special.

Good luck and go get 'em, girl!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to LillyLuna25's response:
Well let us know what day your birthday is and we'll have an online party for you - I'll post pix of balloons and low-fat cupcakes!!!

(((hugs))) to you!

LillyLuna25 replied to brunosbud's response:
Thank you, that actually means a lot since my parents aren't very supportive. Unless being compared to my semi-perfect older brother all the time.

LillyLuna25 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Lol, thank you, My Birthday is September 25th, still got a month to go.?

totallywiggedout replied to LillyLuna25's response:
Well, Lilly, it's been a few days since you first posted. What have you been doing toward reaching your goals?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.