Skip to content

Announcements

Best Body Goals
An_247175 posted:
Age: 48 Female Ht: 5'3" Wt. 120lbs. Waist 27" Don't know %fat, but have ordered some calipers to find out. I have a rather muscular build from swimming. Can maintain this size fairly easily.Only gained weight when pregnant, and lost it in a normal time frame.
Lifestyle: Competitive swimmmer/swim coach - normally swims 7K daily winter, 10K daily summer, 5-6x/week + dryland/strength training 1.5 hours 3x/week Eat vegetarian, and very healthy, but am constantly hungry. Recently added a little meat (fish, chicken, eggs) and it helps. Terrible sweet tooth but try and keep it in check. I feel/swim/race/look much better down in the 110 lb. range but have more athletic nutritional needs than most. Can't seem to find the right balance. Please help!!

Tomato05 responded:
It sounds as if you are in terrific shape and health. It is maybe a good idea to get your body fat percentage measured - it is probably pretty low, and that may give you peace of mind, that you don't need to lose weight.

Losing weight will affect your performance and energy level at that level of exercise intensity. You are certainly much stronger now than at a lower weight.

You are right to add protein, for hunger control but also for many other reasons, like sustaining your muscle.

dkfrie replied to Tomato05's response:
Thanks for the reply. What is a good body fat % to shoot for? The calipers haven't arrived yet. I am curious. Is it a general % or specific to various body parts? Like legs, 20%, arms 18%, belly 10%? (I'm just making up numbers-have no idea what they should be)

And you are right. Was sick with a bug for a couple of weeks. Dropped to 114 lbs. Felt like crap when I got back in the water.
Just now feeling strong at 118 lbs.

I will continue trying to eat more protein. It's hard because I don't particularly "like" protein-y things. My heart belongs to carbs!!

Thanks again.

deadmanwalking57 replied to dkfrie's response:
You don't need to eat a lot of protein. You will get some in your mixed veggie meals. 3 ounces per meal of fish or chicken, or eggs or egg whites is enough, and perhaps a post exercise snack will be fine for you.

I am almost never hungry, nor crave things. So I eat by the clock. I will get grumpy if I miss a meal by too much. Fat is nutritionally empty, so try getting more nutritionally dense food. You may find the calories go down, and your weight, and you may lose the hunger.

If you eat more than you burn, your body will add fat.

Hunger can also stem from poor nutritional food choices. If you don't get the nutrients your body really wants, you will have cravings. So a person can eat a lot, and stay hungry, since they are denying the body's needs.

For carbs, I eat oatmeal with mixed berries and raisins at breakfast, a large mixed veggie and green salad at lunch, and dinner potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta or brown rice, plus some veggies. Snacks are oatmeal cookies, fruit, or dark chocolate covered dried fruits.

My diet is extremely low fat for my advanced heart disease.

Tomato05 replied to dkfrie's response:
I think up to 30% falls in the normal body fat percentage range. That's overall body fat.

dkfrie replied to Tomato05's response:
OK. Got the body fat calipers today. It came out to 10.2% so I guess that's OK. Will just try and keep the food/training log to keep tabs on intake/performance. Thanks!

dkfrie replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Thanks! Those are some good ideas. Will try them.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.