Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Nutrition on a budget.
MandyCake posted:
If you have only $100 per MONTH for groceries... How can you stretch it and still have healthy nutrition. Idea's please and Thank You...

3point14 responded:
Shop at a cheaper grocery store in your area, clip coupons, price compare. See what they offer for reduced quick sale whole wheat products and fruits and veggies. Always buy store brand.

Something like $1 whole wheat pasta, $1 can of diced tomato, and frozen brocolli can keep you filled and fed for two meals.

I spend about $100 myself on groceries a month, and it's just like having to save money in every other arena.

MandyCake replied to 3point14's response:
Thank you.

brunosbud responded:
Go with lots of frozen fruits and vegetables...

Easy to cook, never spoils so there's little waste, just as nutritious as fresh, plus, you can stock up when the price is right. Prepare soups using cheap cans of chicken broth. Defrost the fruit for breakfast w/ oatmeal. Eat fresh spinach salads w/ homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers (pick fresh and freeze once ripened).

Start using that freezer for stuff besides ice cream...

totallywiggedout replied to brunosbud's response:
brunos right. I just saw that walmart has 4lb bags of frozen strawberries, or a tropical fruit mix(mangos,papaya, and pineapple) for 3.96 a bag. FOUR POUNDS of fruit for 4 bucks. That's alot of fruit. If you can buy those super big bags of frozen fruits and veggies, they keep and you can just pull a handful whenever you need to from the freezer which is extremely cost effective. Much more so than having fruits and veggies rotting in the crisper.
k
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

khobson responded:
Wow! That is definitely a shoestring budget, but if it's just you, then it is doable.

I think you purchase food that can make several healthy meals such as beans, brown rice, sweet potatoes, chicken strips or breast or various other cheaper cuts of meat. You can also take advantage of grocery store sales such as 10 cans for $10 or buy one, get one free deals. This gives you quite a bit of food but not spending a ton of money.

Fruit is another way to eat healthy without breaking the bank. Some fruits are more expensive than others, but you can buy a sack of apples for $2.99 at Aldi's. You can purchase 2 lbs of grapes at Aldi's for $1.99, and at Publix you can purchase pre-cut fruit for $3-$4.

One thing you have to remember is, you don't have to have meat at every meal. I personally am not a meat eater and would be fine to never have it, but some people feel that a meal is not complete with some type of meat.

Like I said earlier, if it's just yourself, you can do pretty well on your budget; however, if you have a spouse and children, this would get tight but you would have to get creative with the meals.....with like macaroni & cheese, spaghetti, other pastas, all of which can be purchased in the whole wheat variety, which is a healthier alternative.

I hope my suggestions at least get you to thinking and I'm sure you can come up with other things on your own. Of course, you could check out www.emeals.com, which does charge you $5 per month, but it gives you meals for each night and the purchases you need to make for each meal. This can save you a ton of money by not purchasing things you don't need.

Anon_34086 responded:
Shopping what's in season and on sale is very important. Skip fruit juice and go for the whole fruit. I think I get more bang for the buck with apples than any other fruit. Buy produce that is on sale. My store's produce dept. has a section for produce that is almost out of date. You have to be careful and only get what you can eat or freeze in a day or two, but I've been able to try some things I never would have had the cash to buy without it being on sale. I know everybody likes frozen, but I also like canned vegetables. I know you have to watch the salt, etc. But it's still a vegetable and great in things like soups and stews and I can often catch them on sale and stock up. When you have a recipe that calls for a pound of meat try making it with 3/4 of a pound. You won't notice the difference in flavor I bet and you are also cutting down the fat. I also make one night a week as a "No meat" night. Make a dinner with pasta and veggie sauce or Waffles and fruit. It's not easy - but one thing that helps is that processed foods are usually more expensive so on a Frugal diet you almost have to make everything yourself. No sodas, make iced tea or drink water. I make a pot of coffee in the morning, drink a couple of cups, then turn the maker off. In the afternoon I have iced coffee with milk, sometimes frappe if up in the blender with ice and think I'm having a fancy Starbucks drink. Good luck to you!

merryanna responded:
1/2 price whole grain bread, bagels, etc. freeze beautifully. Use on-line flyers to plan your shopping. Many stores will price match another store's advertised sale items. View their policies on the store website. Dried beans, barley, brown rice, etc,, all keep well. Eggs, canned tuna and salmon, are always reasonably priced, If you don't know how to cook, learn how. All kinds of cooking tutorials can be found on the web. Melissa D'arabian has excellent tips on substitutions for more expensive items and cheap healthy meals. Good Luck, it is very possible for one person to eat well on $100. Oh yeah, and when you find a great deal stock up and freeze it!

ebonyO responded:
I have found that a plant based diet saves a lot. I shop twice a month. and buy food that is fresh. No eggs or butter. If you can not live without red meat just go without 4 times a month

ebonyO replied to merryanna's response:
I reccomend the documentry.. Forks over Knives...a real eye .opener...also the book.. I dont have other people to feed so i have been able to cut my food bill to $80.00 a month because i dont eat meat or fish or eggs(nothing with a face) I also make my own vegetable broth and freeze it so i have it for dishes that i cook. I dont eat from a can.

countrynut responded:
I'd like to add Quinoa to your list. This site has good recipes & info. It is a complete protein & very adaptable to any food type you like. Usable for any meal, even desserts. Remember
portion control will save money & calories. The hard part for us as cattle ranchers was to limit beef to 3 ounces for me. Learn to stir fry. Most important is to make this a game. You will really win big.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.