Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
No Changes at all; :(
LillyLuna25 posted:
Well Is been a week or two since I first posted and I figured I'd give a little update... Even if there is no good new to add. I'm can't really say i'm sticking 100% to my diet/plan; but actually, over all, I am eating a lot healthier that I used to. If anything, I actually went up two pounds. Eeeekk, I know. I don't really know what to do other than add more exercise and keep at the diet... But there is one little problem I just noticed these past days. I think I might an eating disorder; Every time i'm stressed, angry, sad, overwhelmed or i'm feeling depressed -this happens often-, I feel an urge to eat. I plan on just trying to power through this though, I don't want togo to my doctor about it because its most likely he'll give me some anti-depressant. I hate putting chemicals or medications I don't need into my body. 

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Lilly, stick with it. You don't have a disorder , per se, you are an emotional eater and you aren't alone. I would venture to guess that 90% of all overweight/obese people eat overeat because of the same stimuli that you just pointed out.
Exercise is a great way to help overcome stress and depression. It creates endorphins in your brain which are the "feel good" things that help lighten your mood.
What types and how much exercise are you doing right now? More exercise isn't necessarily what you may need. For sure, you will have to watch what is going into your mouth because you simply cannot exercise away all the extra calories you consume if you are definitely overeating and snacking yet.
Make sure you drink AT LEAST 64 oz of water ( that's 1/2 a gallon) every day. Not tea, not coffee, not juice, WATER.
Keep lower calorie snacks within grabbing range in the fridge. Pre cut/cleaned mushrooms, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, sliced cucumbers, baby carrots, radishes, celery and very lightly steamed asparagus and green beans are all very good choices for finger food when the munchies hit. Keep them handy and available at all times.
If you could just make it one week without overindulging in sweets and salty snacks , and keep all of your portions in control..... just one week, I think you would see and feel the difference. And , as a bonus I think you would begin to start noticing that you don't want or need all of that extra food.
If you have time to feel bored, you have time to do 10 sit ups or push ups. If you have time to graze in the fridge, you have time to clean the toilet and the bathroom sink. If you have time to sit and think about how depressed you are and berate yourself for being lazy, you have time to take a walk (with the dog or the kids)
Did you know that if you try on clothes for an hour, you burn 100 calories?
Or if you swing on a swingset for an hour , you burn 100?
Pushing your kid on a swing for 20 min burns 70?
Exercise doesn't have to LOOK like exercise, it just has to burn calories and EVERYTHING burns calories, even just breathing. BUT , conversely, EVERY little thing you put into your mouth, also HAS calories. AND it all has to be accounted for.
I hope you are using your Food and Fitness Planner religiously to keep track of your intake.
Keep us posted
K
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Lilly. Thanks so much for sharing on the community exchange. I know so many folks out there are both identifying with your journey as well as wanting to hop on board and help you out.
What you're describing is stress-eating. In my book Body for Life for Women, i noted that in my research at the NIH, we were able to identify that when your stress hormone, cortisol, begins to rise with emotions, most people, especially women, are driven to overeat sugary/starchy/fatty/salty foods because they feel so rewarding at a time when you feel helpless, hopeless and defeated. They are like anesthetics, numbing the mental angst you feel.
Next time you feel the urge to overeat, stop for just one minute and say the word HALT. Then ask yourself, am i truly Hungry, or instead do i feel Anger/Anxiety, or Loneliness or am i Tired? If it's really time for a meal/snack, then have a healthy balanced one (log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner). However, if you're consumed with emotions, you need to deal with them in a productive way--- get help from a friend or professional, take a walk, meditate, pray, etc. To solve your stress-fat connection, you need a plan of action to avoid caving to the craving every time.
So, no, this is not an eating disorder, This is a common cause of overeating and the great news is that you can overcome it and move on to achieve your goals.

How's that sound?

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.