Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

low estrogen weight gain
Lucycharlotte posted:
Hi, recently I've really been struggling to lose weight regardless of healthy eating and exercise so I went to the drs where I also told him I had not had a period for 6 - 9 months which I believed was from my previous 6 stone loss. I've had all blood tests done and it has come back that my estrogen levels is low to zero. This resulted in a trip for ovary scan which showed that I don't have PCOS everything looks healthy but I can not producing any eggs. Trip back to the drs where he put me on the combined pill. Since taking this i've had the worst mood swings and 10 pound weight gain in 3 weeks which is gutting to say the least. My periods still haven't returned and I've now discontinued using the pill. Is there any advice on how to increase oestrogen naturally whilst losing weight as I have read I should reduce levels of exercise (currently I walk for 2 hours per day and do 5 hours gym classes per week) however I'm apprehensive about this due to weight gain ( I'm 29 and 5"2 and 11 stone 3 so have a good 2 stone to lose to get into healthy weight range.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi, Lucy
You may want to read this article
http://www.livestrong.com/article/124221-natural-increase-estrogen-levels/

Also, as I understand it, Soy products have what are known as phytoestrogens. These are plant estrogens that sort of raise the estrogen levels in humans. Like creating "man boobs" on guys that eat a lot of soy products and making women chunk up. But they do seem to have the effect of raising estrogen levels. A good way to get soy is edamame pods or beans. Find these in the frozen veggie section of your market. Also, of course, tofu, and soy milk.
All of these products can be worked into a smart healthy eating plan that could help you to lose weight.
But there are several items listed in that article above that may help.
As for losing weight, fill out a Food and Fitness planner here on webmd. It is a very good tool to show you how many calories and how much exercise you should do daily in order to reach your goals.
As for what to eat, think raw, natural and homecooked. Most frozen dinners and canned (prepared) foods have so many unnecessary fats and such high sodium content that they basicly negate everything healthy you try to do for yourself. Eating raw veggies and fruits or canned with no salt/sugars added is a good choice too . The big thing to do is to make sure you are eating what the actual serving size is. Most people tend to think of serving size as what will fit in your bowl or "a couple of scoops" of foods. It's simply not the case and everything has a suggested serving size. Look up the food and eat accordingly , making sure to add in all the calories you have eaten for the day. That's where the food and fitness planner helps because a lot of normal everyday foods are already in it so all you have to do is put in how much you ate of it and when.

Hope this helps.
K
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

Lucycharlotte replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi K, thanks for the response I shall try one of the supplements as they are just what I was after! I did try the wedmd calorie counter but I found I was eating too much and got to the point where my weight loss completely stalled so I started following the harcombe getting into the process of 3 good meals per day no snacking, no caffine, sugar or processed foods and trying to eat in the most natural state. I'm a vegetarian so I get plenty of soya and until recently i have only drank soya milk (there are a number of articles on the health implications with soya milk which put me off) so I would have thought that would have increased the oestrogen but it still made no difference to the levels ( I will try the supplements though and change 1 cardio per week for weight to see if that also makes a difference!

totallywiggedout replied to Lucycharlotte's response:
Let me know how you are doing. I don't do any soy products but I do like the Silk almond original milk. At 60 calories and more nutrients than reg skim milk I feel it's a better choice for me and my personal journey.
huggs
K
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
201 of 246 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.