Skip to content

Announcements

over 60 and overweight
jandee1215 posted:
I am 5'3" and 172 lbs. I am a 64 year old female and overwhelmed by all the diets out there. Are there any diet plans that would be more beneficial to us older folks to follow instead of the no-carb, no fat type of diet? I know that moderation and exercise are key elements, but I am one who needs more of a plan to follow. Thanks!

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi jandee. Welcome!
Although you don't have to lose as much, you could come check out the 50-100lb diet community here on WebMD.
We are a good, supportive, and actively blogging group who are on our journies to better health, less weight and better fitness(mental and physical). Judy, Barb, Debbie, Helene, Pi, Tomato, Marybeth..... we are all there to help eachother and every new person that is interested in losing some weight in a healthy way and keeping it off, forever. Some, like Judy, have lost over 100lbs non surgically, and are/have been in maintenance for YEARS and still blog daily to keep themselves focused and to help the rest of us stay on track and "just to be neighborly and check in".
Even if you don't come check us out, I'll tell you what is a main thing to start.
Either fill in a food and fitness planner here on this site, or fill out the one on Fitday.com.
Once you log in all of your current stats, they let you know how many calories and how much exercise to aim for daily.
At 64, I know you know about food labels, but it may have been years since you've read them, always buying the same things you like or are comfortable with. I suggest that you start reading them again. Get renewed ideas of just HOW MUCH is an actual serving size. News is, it's not what you've been allowing yourself. LOL
I'm Kim, 47, 5'4, Started my Journey in Jan this year. Started out (in Dec) at 253 lbs , and had just been put on Blood Pressure meds n told I'd never get off of them, and am now at 186.2 lbs, two weeks ago went to dr and BP is now right in the middle of NORMAL. I am off the meds.
No , there is no "perfect" one size fits all diet as all "DIET PLANS" suggest. That's why it's important to do what is best for you and that you can live with. Not only now, but for the rest of your life.
Staying within your suggested caloric guidelines, getting the recommended amount of exercise(walk, walk, walk it's so good for you), Drink at least 1/2 gallon of water a day, cut out sodas and only have your sweets or desserts at the end of the week as a reward for sticking to your healthy eating for that week (or better yet , don't reward yourself with foods at all and get a manicure, a small inexpensive piece of jewelry or undies that make you feel pretty, or even a massage) ..... Eat RAW and FRESH. Make your own meals instead of buying high fat, high sodium, high calorie, or worse, EMPTY calorie frozen dinners. Eat to feed your body, like a potatoe doesnt have many nutrients, but a sweet potatoe or peruvian blue has more in the same amount of calories. DONT EAT WHITE. no white potatoes, rice, pastas, sauces..... high in fats, calories and sugars(carbs) and just about nothing else.
Choose your dairy more carefully. Try fat free or reduced fat items. Eat eggs if you like them. They are an excellant source of proteins,
Learn the difference between good fats and bad fats. Eat avocados, unsalted nuts, olive oil, grapeseed oils for good fats But be aware, that everything you put into your mouth, or fix your meals with MUST be counted in your calorie charts. Use PAM butter flavored cooking spray on popcorn instead of butter, and as a "crisper" for oven baked items like chicken fingers, "fried" zucchini and stuff.
hope this gives you some ideas
K
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

alanjbuck responded:
I think in this age you should avoid foods that contain fats and oil, you should have mostly a little amount of food when you need to take breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also try to have only fruits or juice at you breakfast. If you want a good figure instantly then you can also contact doctor for a better advice.
liposuction westchester ny

jandee1215 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim,Thank you for the info.
Wow! You are doing great with all the weight you lost!! And I only want to lose 20 lbs compared to how much you have lost. I bet you feel great. I will check out the community you suggested. As you can see, after your post there was a liposuction dr. that posted. I thought that was odd, but whatever. thanks again and I am determined to lose this time and get my BMI into a healthy range.

totallywiggedout replied to jandee1215's response:
Hi jandee. Yes, I saw him. All I can say is some people believe that if you are heavy or obese that you have NO CONTROL and that you are a lost cause so your ONLY option is stomach reduction surgery. I don't advocate the surgeries at all. I, personally, believe that they should be used only as a last resort to save lives. This is literally what they were intended for. Otherwise they are risky, unnecessary and by and large worthless because most people that have them don't or can't stay with the post op requirements and regain the lbs they lost and usually more.
Thank you for your comments on my weight loss. Yes, I feel maybe not TONS better, lol, but at least 60 lbs better.
I wish only success for you on your journey. If you need anything, have questions or need to vent about hitting a plateau. I'll be here along with the rest. We can help you stay focused.
huggs
K
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

jandee1215 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks again, Kim..............

By tracking on WebMD (the food tracker) I immediately saw the amount of carbs I was taking in (from all the fruit I eat). I am going to try to limit the high carb fruits for a start. I am trying to navigate this website. I did Weight Watchers online and I like this tracking system better and it's FREE!!!

Janice

totallywiggedout replied to jandee1215's response:
Now, a lot of people don't worry so much about the carbs that come from fruits. I tend to go lower carbs when possible too. That's why I have developed some smoothie recipes that aren't "sweet fruit" based. I use pumpkin and avocado right now, both of which are technically fruit, but have lower sugar content than the "normal" things we think of as fruit..... I do try to eat watermelon or cantalope a few times a week and I like my Skinny Fruits Pineapple chunks with fat free cottage cheese on the non melon days. I slip in sliced apple in my turkey pita sandwiches too , but that's about it for fruit for me . I like all fruits, just have found that I don't crave the sweetness of it like I used to. So I forgo it and utilize my calories elsewhere.
Like I try to stress though. This is your journey. Make it work for you.
Huggs
K

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.