Skip to content

Announcements

Fitness question
gramking posted:
I've just joined Food & Fitness and need help. I am dealing with a stress fracture in my foot. What can I do to meet the fitness goal?

Tomato05 responded:
It will probably take about 6 weeks for the fracture to heal. You will have to focus on your calorie intake during this period, forgetting about burning calories through exercise. So, you will have to eat quite a few calories less than when you are uninjured/more active, to compensate.

The only cardio you could maybe do (but you will have to check) is swimming (maybe stationary bike later on). You can do upper body strength training while seated, just to maintain some muscle.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi gramking and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about your foot. I'm dealing with an injury right now and it's extremely frustrating. Have you talked with your doctor about seeing a physical therapist (PT) to discuss some no-impact exercises you can safely do? A PT can give you exercises that take into account an injury or your pain challenges.

Tomato is right about focusing on calories - you can lose weight without exercise.

Do you have access to a pool? You can check with your local Park and Recreation department or the YMCA. There might be fitness classes or lap swimming/free swim times where you could get moving without any impact on your foot. Of course, check with your doctor before doing any exercise!

Sending healing thoughts your way!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.