Skip to content

Announcements

Should I Feel this Good? -- Serious Walker on Strict Diet
BigDaddyMatty posted:
Hello all. This is my first post so please bear with me.

I am a 48 year old male, 6'2" and 300 lbs with no medical problems. I have been a serious daily walker (~90 mins/day) for the last 25 years of my life. I wish to lose about 80 lbs and have put myself on a diet. Here is an example of my daily intake:

Upon waking: 1 glass of water and a multi-vitamin.

Breakfast: (eaten at 10:00 am): Bowl of oatmeal or shredded wheat (the sort with no sugar or salt) with 1% milk. The bowl is a smallish cereal bowl. 1 large black coffee. This has been my standard breakfast for ages, although in bigger portions with a sliced banana in the past.

I consume a total of 1 gallon of water before, during and after walking 90 minutes at lunch. I typically sweat profusely during the walk.

Dinner: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 ounce of chedder cheese, 4 Saltines, 2 sliced tomatoes, 2 stalks of celery, a handful of radishes and a pint of unflavored club soda.

Snack: 1 Banana.

I walk an additional 35 minutes after work where I finish off the gallon of water. If either walk was a super-sweaty due to heat, I will supplement the gallon of water with 1 quart of Gatorade although from a thirst standpoint I could go without and not feel as though I missed anything.

I have been on this diet for a week now and I feel wonderful. My energy/power on the walks is remarkable. The food cravings get intense an house before dinner but other than that they are not bad at all.

I realize this diet is not sustainable forever but right now I simply want to lose weight without harming myself. I would deeply appreciate any input. Thanks.

brunosbud responded:
Couple of comments...

Continue to make mental notes on even the slightest changes your body undergoes as you continue on your journey...a rash that disappears...eyes becoming less bloodshot; more white...fingernails becoming so hard that you can't chew them...longer lasting erections...fewer times you need to wake up and go pee...sudden dip in blood pressure.

These are the "signs" you're on the right path! This is how your body talks to you...it drops small hints and subtle messages to urge you to keep going..."You're doing some good!"

I recently wrote about Japanese Sumo wrestlers and their ability to avoid life threatening disease yet weigh upwards of 400 lbs. Their fat is mostly subcutaneous, not the dangerous visceral fat encasing vital organs that many obese Americans carry. It's visceral fat that's commonly associated with Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease & hypertension.

Their secret? Explosive, interval training 3-5 hours per day.

Same goes for most linemen in college and professional football, today. How many times do you read about athletes having to end their careers because of fibromyalgia, COPD, chronic hypertension or "slow" metabolism? What's their secret?

Two a day workouts and daily weight training would be my guess...

I'm a Type 2 Diabetic. My A1C is, presently, 5.3 (normal range). I specifically walk (as do you), 2 times per day. I take, on average, 13,000 steps every day.

Why is my A1C normal when I'm a T2 diabetic?

Walking...lots of walking. It's the continuous, daily movement that keep my blood sugars in check and insulin insensitivity, low.

Its no mystery why you're feeling good. None whatsoever. The sumos prove you can weigh 500 pounds and still be in reasonably "good" health and possess explosive power, strength and endurance.

But, you got to do one thing, BigDaddyMatty...

and, you're doing it! Great job and good luck!

PS: If you want to lose weight, portion control works, no question. Just realize, when you place tight controls on daily calorie intake, you can never allow yourself to go hungry, too. Even if that means having to eat 5-7 times/day. Its tricky and takes some finesse but, definitely, doable. It worked for me, at least.

BigDaddyMatty replied to brunosbud's response:
Thank you, brunosbud. Your response is just wonderful. What a cool, unexpected motivator.

Your comments: "a rash that disappears...eyes becoming less bloodshot; more white...fingernails becoming so hard that you can't chew them...longer lasting erections...fewer times you need to wake up and go pee...sudden dip in blood pressure." are remarkable.

The skin on my face is already much clearer. So are my eyes throughout the day. Fingernails have always been hard but I will keep watch. My erections are off the chart and I can actually sleep 8 hours without getting up and going the the bathroom. I have not checked my BP yet but I will.

Thanks again.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.