Skip to content

Announcements

49, gaining weight with no obvious reason
Scotty03275 posted:
I am 49 years old, I have always struggled with my weight. I am 5 foot 2 and I currently weigh 177, some might say just watch my food intake (
calories, fat etc.) My diet has not changes, I walk everyday yet I suddenly I am gaining weight and don't know why. The only meds I take is a beta blocker. I drink plenty of water, limit my caffeine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

brunosbud responded:
You are smart to be concerned since sudden changes in weight, gain or lose, is serious business. For me, sudden, unintentional weight gain brings to mind fluid retention and bloating. For women, menopause may sometime cause bloating and feet swelling. Coronary artery disease/heart disease is another possibility, too. If you are taking the BBs for a heart condition, I'd suggest you discuss this matter with your cardiologist, asap.

PetuniaPea responded:
Metabolism slows down with age, because of loss of muscle mass, which means that even if you are not changing anything in your diet, you'll still gain weight. You can either reduce your calories a bit to make up for this compensation, or do weight bearing exercises/ weight training (check with your doctor first!). Or you can do both!

Last year I was at my heaviest, which was 15 pounds heavier than I am now (I wanted to catch myself before I started gaining more weight, so I decided to make some changes)...I'm one pound away from my goal weight! Here's what I did to lose those 15 pounds, and 16th on the way:

--Drink 8-12 cups of water/non-caffinated liquids each and every day (our sense of thirst goes away as we age, so we have to force ourselves to drink water!) Water will boost your metabolism.

--Eat more unprocessed, whole foods (foods not in packages with ingredient lists!). Unprocessed foods take more energy for your digestive system to digest, therefore burning more calories while you do...absolutely nothing! Processed and cooked foods have done the "pre-digesting" for you.

--Cut out sugar completely. I did this, and I'm telling you, the weight came off WITHOUT EVEN TRYING! You'll see!

--Eat more fruits and veggies daily. Try new ones every once in a while. I didn't like kale at first, but now I love it in soup! Try to eat them in a raw state; it actually burns more calories!

Here's the article that I'm referencing...I wanted to look up why I was able to lose weight without much effort and without exercising as much as I should!

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/919/Seven_Reasons_to_Eliminate_Processed_Foods_from_Yo.aspx
Check out some of my blogs regarding health and weight: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.