Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Friday Five! Share yours here:
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
What are FIVE healthy actions you are going to do this weekend? If you don't have any planned, now is the time!

Mine are:

First thing in the morning, I stretch for five minutes or so. I've started looking forward to a good stretch more than coffee, believe it or not!

I'm going swimming with my daughters on Saturday. My mother never wanted to get her hair messed up and I vowed to be a different kind of mom. We'll for sure have a cannonball contest and probably a few underwater tea parties.

Getting out the blender to make this: Green Smoothie . Stay tuned for review!

Taking the whole family to a yoga class on Sunday morning. The husband isn't that excited about it but we promised he could have some football/TV time later.

Instead of happy hour, a friend and I are taking a walk tomorrow evening.

Who is next?

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

3point14 responded:
Saturday night I'll be using my elliptical. I usually only use it in the mornings, but Saturday is when I'll have the time to.

Also on Saturday I'm going to go for a hike with my best friend and her six year old. I'll try to keep up with him.

I'll be abstaining from booze all weekend, which as a 24 year old who loves to go out with friends might be a pain in the butt.

Sunday I'll go to the gym in the morning. My boyfriend works on Sunday, but he said he'll be willing to go before work!

After I go to the gym on Sunday,I'm going to go for a jog. I keep telling myself I want to be a runner, even though I kind of hate running. When I actually DO it I love it, but the thought of the soreness and the fortitude it takes intimidates me. Just gotta shut up the voice that tells me to quit early.

Also, Haylen, I basically live on shakes. I had braces put on a few months ago and my teeth are perpetually sore, not to mention it's better the less crap that touches my braces. I'm very OCD so when I eat solid food I usually wind up brushing my teeth literally a dozen times a day,and who's got that kind of time!?

The Green Smoothie is fantastic. I think you'll really like it. Shakes are odd at first because if you don't use anything really sweet in them, the taste is kind of...it's hard to explain. It tastes like the food it is, rather than just a sweet "smoothie" flavor. From my friends that eat more sweet stuff, I'm told they're kind of bland. Once you make shakes (if you make shakes) a more consistent part of your diet, though, it becomes easier to manipulate the tastes and work out different ratios of your ingredients for different flavors. I also love to experiment with different textures, too.

PetuniaPea responded:
I'm going to:

Do a little bit of yoga

Deep breathing exercises

Continue to strive toward a plant-based diet, having my usually breakfast fruit smoothie and my refreshing snack (or as part of my lunch) green smoothie!!!

Get active with my husband
(you know, exercise with an "s" in front of it!)

Drink 10 cups of water/non-caffinated liquids each day.
Check out some of my blogs regarding health and weight: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

PetuniaPea replied to 3point14's response:
Here's my green smoothie recipe:

Kale
Banana
1/4 red apple
1/2 avocado (or whole, why not?)
Coconut water
1 teaspoon of stevia, to make is sweeter!

You'll have to play with the proportions to get the texture that you like. Also, I don't know if it's my blender, but I always have to chew the kale, I don't mind at all. It's VERY yummy.

This is actually a recipe I saw Paula Abdul give on The Dr.Oz Show!
Check out some of my blogs regarding health and weight: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

BigDaddyMatty responded:
  • At least 2.5 hours of fitness walking in on both Saturday and Sunday.

* 8-9 hours of sleep on both evenings.

* Very healthy/careful eating and hydration on both days.

* Worship at both of my churches on Sunday.

* A couple of hours of trap shooting on Saturday for recreation.
  •  
    Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to PetuniaPea's response:
    Thanks for smoothie info! Petunia, is the kale raw or do you steam then blend?

I'm actually motivated because my 4 year old seems to be on a hunger strike. She used to eat every fruit and veggie under the sun now she only seems to want crackers and juice.

Made a smoothy with yogurt, banana, berries and a handful of raw spinach this evening and she loved it.

Please share any other recipes - I didn't even think of avocado!

abnersmom responded:
    1. Walk at a good pace 3 miles both Sat. and Sun.
    2. No food indulgences - stick with healthy foods and keeping calorie intake to 1200 cals.
    3. Spend time with friends and family
    4. Relax and watch some football
    5. Get chores done to prepare for the work week ahead - stress reliever for me if I plan ahead

froggystyle77 responded:
    sounds really productive and exciting !!!!

brunosbud responded:
    If you notice, those that have responded to this thread, "5 Healthy Actions" have focused much attention to exercise or sports.

This is the fundamental message of Dr. Peeke's blog, "Everyday Fitness"...

Anybody who's achieved major, long term, weight loss has successfully incorporated daily exercise into their lives. They've come to realize the quintessential component for good health is exercise...It's unavoidable and non-negotiable.

People who have gained a lot of weight all share one thing in common...Whether they'll admit to it or not, they stopped exercising.

So, the best advice I can give to any beginner wishing to start a weight loss program?

Just take a nice, brisk walk...everyday

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to brunosbud's response:
    Good point bruno!

I was in a walking challenge to take 10,000 steps a day. It really opened my eyes to all the "brisk walking" opportunities I had. I'm not 100% consistent getting my steps in but I show up earlier and park farther now.

Haylen

suzieq1961bc replied to PetuniaPea's response:
    If you get the chance to use some lacinto (not sure of the spelling) it is a different variety of kale and it is fantastic.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to suzieq1961bc's response:
    Thanks for the info suzieq!

I'm going to google that right now. I've been eating lentil soup lately and throwing in some "regular" kale and it's a little bitter.

H

jeyan responded:

Thank you for the tips, it really helped me to think on what to do on my rest day, since my weekend is tuesday and wednesday because of the kind of work I have.. I'm now planning to go on jogging early in the morning atleast 2 hrs, and swimming in the afternoon. Also healthy foods and smoothies.

Thanks a lot.

PetuniaPea replied to suzieq1961bc's response:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it tastes great...I like the taste of all kale now...back when I first tried it I didn't like it at all, then I gave it a second try a few months later and ended up liking it! I've been getting red kale lately because the pigment has pain-relieving properties (anthocyanins)... I think all red/purple fruits and veggies do...
    http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to PetuniaPea's response:
    Hi PetuniaPea!

I've missed you - glad you're back and happy to hear that kale "grows on you".

Your comment about red veggies and fruits sent me to Mr. Google and I found an archived WebMD article here that is really interesting:

Red Foods: The New Health Powerhouses?

I keep forgetting about beets - need to figure out how to make those so they are yum.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
    I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.