Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Weightloss help needed
losinmyself posted:
Hello,

I need some advice/help. Back in the end of May I found out that my weight had gone past the 500 pound mark. Needless to say reality smacked me in the face.

So, I began a journey to reduce my weight and live a healthy lifestyle. So far I have lost about 82 pounds, but the last few weeks my weightloss has completely stalled. Thats around the time I began exercising everyday.

I just dont know what to do. I am so afraid I will get discouraged if this last much longer and I dont want to give this up.

Here are some details:

I eat between 1200-1300 calories a day and I log everything I eat on myfitnesspal.com

Three weeks ago I began walking the 1/2 mile to and from work everyday and then I also hit the treadmill everyday and walk at a 3 mile per hour pace with random incline intervals for about 40 minutes.

Some medical concerns are:

I am being treated for an underactive thyroid and Atrial Fib.

I feel like I have been working so hard. I have worked my body and stayed on point with my calorie/food intake and its devestating to be stuck.

Is there any advice? I am open to anything.

Thanks in advance.

totallywiggedout responded:
Ah God, I'm so sorry that it's been 4 days and you hadn't had a response. Jeez , I hope we didn't lose you.
Hi, I'm Kim.
When stuck, it's time to switch things up. Congrats on your weightloss, you have been doing everything right, now just, lol, change it..... No really, about 2 or 3 times a week up your calories to about 1400-1600. Not a big change, but enough to confuse your body. Make em good calories. Feed your body right.
As for you exercise, its time to do some light weightraining. Free weights, gallon jugs of water, big soup cans..... whatever you have handy will work.
Start with 3 sets of 15 reps of upper body weightlifting exercises.
If you have a weight machine with leg extension, use that too, also works for "curls"
There is a 4 min exercise video, if you feel you can do it. Don't until you watch it and feel confident about it.
just google, 4 minute Tabata Utube. It's the one with the bright green and purple background. That set of exercises that girl does is astounding. It'll for sure get your heart pumping and if done daily will help to raise you metabolism back into burning mode.
I try to "pay back" for every meal. I let my food settle for 20 min and then do a quick exercise to burn off some of what I ate. By doing this, like 3 times a day, I feel like I'm keeping my metabolism raised to optimum level. Like eating meals and snax to keep your blood sugar level throughout the day, the bursts of exercise work sort of like that.
hope this helps
Kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

PetuniaPea replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I totally agree, TotallyWiggedOut. Change it up! 1300 calories one day, then the next day 1600. Then the next day 1400, maybe for a few days you can be at 1300, then 1600.

Change up your exercises too. Walk one day, then weights the next, then dance to some music the next day, then weights and walking the next. I learned that from what's his name...Chris Powell!!! Extreme Weight Loss Edition trainer.

This is my easiest weight loss tip EVER. Eat as close to whole foods as you can. Being almost vegan, I try to eat things that are straight from the ground, tree, or vine, but if you're not vegan, you can also include organic lean meat and fish straight from the meat and fish section of your grocery store. Try not to eat foods from boxes, that includes cereal, frozen meals, and ice cream bars! My one exception is frozen burritos and an occasional coconut ice cream bar!

The reason being, it takes your body more work to digest WHOLE foods, so while you're doing nothing, you're burning more calories...the beautiful thermogenic effect. Processed foods are so broken down and denatured, they are sometimes called "pre-digested" food. You're body barely has to do anything to digest these foods; the work's been done for you.

That brings me to my next tip: try to start eating more raw fruits (that's easy) and veggies. It's the same concept. Cooked foods are "pre-digested" while raw foods take more energy to digest. CAUTION: start out small, then work your way up...too much raw veggies at first can cause stomach problems. I like to make a homemade veggie soup where I cook it on low heat just enough to get warm...that can be considered raw because I'm not using high heat.

Here's a few more tip...my blogs that I wrote on another site:

17 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight: http://thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts/14458-17-Day-Diet-17-reasons-you-aren-t-losing-weight

How to Start Eating A More Plant Based Diet: http://thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts/14580-How-to-start-eating-more-of-a-plant-based-diet-without-getting-stomach-pain-or-gas -
Check out some of my blogs regarding health and weight: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

PetuniaPea responded:
I forgot to stress DRINK WATER! Water is a metabolism booster. If you are dehydrated, your body will hold on to as much water as possible--the scale will not budge because you're carrying a lot of water weight. Plus, metabolism will SLOOOW down because your body can't function at it's best.

Drink at least 8 cups, if not more, but I wouldn't exceed 13 cups because you could pee out all your electrolytes. Water, milk, non-dairy milk, juice counts as your daily water intake. NOT tea or coffee.
Check out some of my blogs regarding health and weight: http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
273 of 338 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.