Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Plateau problem
RONNY1950 posted:
Have hit the dreaded diet plateau. Have lost 100 lbs with 50 to go. I have done this on a 1200-1500 cal diet over 10 months. Haven't lost any for about a month. Would like to exercise but can't due to health problems. Bad back. If I maintain my current diet without exercise will the plateau eventually end. A little frustrated but not discouraged. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jis4judy responded:
Hi Ronny congrats on removeing 100 pounds thats an awsome achievement, No exercise at all? not even walking? a bad back is made better by walking . and with 100 pounds reduction should have made your back better ..
well anyway a plateau happens because of your success and your body is adjusting to the new weight ...
breaking a plateau requires a change in the way your eat or exercise
It is sometimes helpful to cycle calories like eat calories that would maintaine your current weight for a day or 2 then go back to the 1200 -1500
it can jump start the metbolism I do believe it was called the wendy plan ...
the calories you choose would be depending on your hieght age etc For me when I do that I go as high as 2000 cals then drop back to 1500 but I am exerciseing nearly every day
I hope this helps Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.