Skip to content

Announcements

Losing Weight
loseweight4u4real posted:
I am having such a hard time losing weight. I have started working out, watching what i eat, although i still find myself eating candy, but not much at all. I find it very difficult to track calories. I was recently told i am border line diabetic and that scares me and i feel i don't know what to do. I am at 208 and would like to get to 160. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3point14 responded:
What's making it hard to track calories? There's a fitness planner on here, or myfitnesspal is an app you can get on your phone and fitaday is a website in which you can keep track of what you eat. Tracking will make everything so much easier and make it feel like less of an uphill battle, I promise.

Give yourself time. Keep working out, keep watching what you eat, keep decreasing the candy intake. It takes time to gain weight and takes time to lose, too. Just be patient with yourself and stay consistent. Exercise is absolutely key.

Besty of luck!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there and welcome! You don't need to be scared - prediabetes can have serious health implications but you can turn it around and get healthy!

To start, please make an appointment with the doctor who diagnosed you as borderline diabetic and ask for an easy to follow meal and exercise plan. A referral to a nutritionist could be very, very helpful. Additional information is below:

To successfully treat prediabetes :
Eat a heart healthy diet and lose weight. A 5% to 10% weight loss can make a huge difference.
Exercise. Try to work up to 30 minutes of exercise a day, 5 days a week. The activity can be split into several short periods: 3 sessions of 10 minutes. Select an activity that you enjoy such as walking. Again, check with your doctor before increasing your activity level.

For easy calorie tracking, here's a direct link to a great tool:
WebMD Food and Fitness Planner

Instead of candy, reach for one of these - delish and easy to put in the planner: 25 Super Snacks, 100 Calories or Less

Keep posting here so we can keep you motivated!

Haylen

manati727 responded:
Hi and welcome. Start off by first thanking the higher power for your 'new' day. take a salad dish and get some breakfast..allow yourself to put dowb your fork and chew slowlt..for your snack about 2 hrs. after your breakfast, have a small banana, small apple or pear and flush down with some water..for lunch, try either making a salad with protein (to keep you full) and yes some skim milk ot water..two hours later, eat another fruit like grages no more than 12 and some water. plan your dinner as usual but this time using a salad plate to put your protein, and your two vegetables until you get the hang of it..eat slowly and chew your food about 20 times before swallowing. .your night snack should be a fat free and light piece of cheese and yes one cup of skim milk. I also was diagnosed a border line debetic and my doctor put me on a 300 calorie food diet along with a food suppresent called phentermine and follow up every 30 days for my progress. I lose an average of 3 to 5 pounds a week. I started in July of 2012 and was weighing 163 and a half pounds and I now weigh 133 pounds and feeling GREAT with my new weight and my new health. I also did daily affirmations.

redbone820 responded:
I was just diagnosed with the same thing so you are not alone. Hang in there. I check into Webmd everyday and have gotten some wonderful recipes and ideas that have been very helpful. along with regular checkups with my doctor. Keep the faith.

Sofiaornelas1 responded:
This is a great opportunity to make a change on your life and avoid unnecessary illness. It is important to visit a nutriologist. He can help you with your calorie intake and ways to reduce or substitute candy. You can also join health clubs for walking, jogging, dancing, whatever you like most. You are not alone and there is a lot of professionals that can help you. Eat plenty of vegetables, reduce fried foods. All restaurants have grills and healthy options.... Gongratulation on your first steps of success!

reuel12 responded:
Weight loss can be difficult for most of us. It took several attempts of tracking my calories before it became a daily habit and after doing it for about 90days now I still forget. I was 203 at beginning of July now I'm around 185. Plus, I have lost several inches. I try not to focus on scale too much. What has worked for me is staying within my calorie goals. Once I reach them and I'm still hungry I simply eat veggies the rest of the day, such as, unlimited spinach and carrots. I exercise most days for at least 30mins, which means I don't allow myself to go under four days. I do some light weight training. As a result, my fitness level have increased. I have not been perfect with my diet by any means. I struggle with hypothyroidism, pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Thyroid and blood pressure numbers are normal these days. Still working on cholesterol and starving glucose is below norm. So be patient and find what works for you. If you go outside of your healthy boundaries get back within them the next meal not the next day. I feel and look much better these days. I will take the remainder of the weight off through healthy eating most of the time and exercise. No trick diets or gimmicks for me. While I have stop coming down hard on myself, I have set a standard for the way I am to behave to get the weight off. Thus, I'm confident the weight will come off. This takes the stress and anxiousness away. I hope this helped you.

KickingItForLife responded:
I had tried everything, and was tired of being sick and tired. A relative of mine recommended a book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, called Eat To Live. He takes the time to spell out why a plant-based way of eating can bring you back to health. I bought and read the book and started eating this way and haven't looked back! That was in June of this year. I've lost 40 pounds, and my A1C went from 8.6 to 5.5! All without being hungry, losing my food addictions, and not having to count anything. I feel wonderful! I still have a way to go, but this is easier than anything else I've done. I would recommend this book to anyone! Good luck, and best of health!

brunosbud replied to reuel12's response:
Very reasonable advice,reuel12. I respect your patience and good sense to design a plan that you can maintain, yet, still addresses your other serious health concerns.

You realize that a "goal" weight is all well and good, but a reduction of just 10% bodyweight (203 to183) can reverse your prediabetes to normal fasting BG levels and reduce your chances of stroke and heart attack by 60%!

"I have not been perfect with my diet by any means.
"

I particularly respect this comment the most because its honest, yet, true. Change away from a high fat, high sugar & heavy meat regimen is absolutely necessary to lose that first 10%...

but, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Thanks for your excellent contribution.

brunosbud replied to KickingItForLife's response:
Yes, I concur to a degree. Fuhrman's is good, but Fuhrman's is severe, imo.

In other words, Fuhrman's is a serious diet for serious people with serious health issues...No sissies, allowed, and best bring a boat load of fruits and veggies, along.

An_248061 responded:
When my mom was told she was borderline diabetic, she tried to cut all out all the obvious sugars. Each morning, she fixed herself a LARGE glass of ice-water, then went for a 4-5 mile walk with a younger neighbor. She made it a priority to keep that water going down every day. She went from a size 16/18 down to a size 8 in about a year. That was about 30 years ago, and she still wears that size 8. Just set your focus on what you need to do to beat the diabetes. Mom was able to delay taking insulin for a couple years by watching her diet and exercising. Good luck!

brunosbud replied to An_248061's response:
an_248061,

20 years ago, my dad did the very same as your mom...cut back on the sugar and fatty foods, walked one hour every day and lost a bunch of weight. When I became prediabetic, 3 1/2 years ago, I followed in my old man's footsteps. It wasn't hard and I wasn't scared because he showed me the way. What I didn't know, though, was how much more I would appreciate my life, my family and, most of all, him, in the process...

A good mom and dad learns that a life well lived is not meant to be easy. It has to be "hard", and...

A great mom and dad are able to "show" this to their children.

loseweight4u4real, whether you're a mom or not, I hope, one day, you realize the infinite rewards that come from overcoming great obstacles in life, head-on.

They're waiting for you, it will not be easy and we all know what we have to do. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.