Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Can One Big Meal Mess Things Up?
BigDaddyMatty posted:
Today is day #14 of my new eating plan. It's going almost too good. I have been consuming about 1,000 calories/day combined with 2.5 hours of power walking per day and I feel great. I also feel blessed that I am rarely hungry -- possibly due to the spacing of my meals and the amount of water I drink.

Before I began this diet I had planned to go to a big BBQ this Sunday. If I go I have already committed to drinking only club soda, staying away from the appetizers and dessert.

If I eat a non-diet portion of: caesar salad, BBQed beef and chicken, garlic bread and chili beans could it "re-set" something in my body so that I feel really hungry sometime after this BBQ, be it Sunday night or anytime after that? I have no had to deal with hunger pangs and I really don't want to start. Thanks.

Tomato05 responded:
I think time will tell - you will have to see what happens in the day or so after the BBQ. Any changes will probably be temporary only, and if you go back to your routine your body should adjust again.

Anyway, it is almost inevitable that there will be occasions when you have to eat differently to your usual pattern, so you have to learn to accommodate them.

It sounds as if you are doing really well on your diet - congratulations.

You could maybe skip the garlic bread at the BBQ - it is not something really nutritious and will just add empty calories. The garlic butter will likely be fat of the less healthy type,and besides, the caesar salad and meat will add enough fat already.

brunosbud responded:
Me @ 16: "Hey, Dad, can I borrow the car?"
Dad: "I don't know...Can you?"
Me @ 16: "C'mon, Dad, I'm serious..."
Dad: "Well, if you have to ask, then, No. You can't..."

That was my Dad's humorous way of reminding me, Could I be responsible? Could I be trusted? If the answer is yes to both, don't ask...just do.

BigDaddyMatty, can you eat that BIG BBQ dinner?

I don't know...Can you?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi BigDaddyMatty!

Congratulations on your success so far! It's Monday morning - how did you do?

For others who might have had an "ooops" meal this weekend:

Diet 911: After You Overindulge

Also, 1,000 calories/day combined with power walking sounds a little low. Please check in with the WebMD Metabolism Calculator . If you have questions about your overall calorie requirements, check with your health care provider.

Haylen

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for the input. The results. Both good and not so good.

I headed for the BBQ after having fitness walked for 2.75 hours while consuming 3/4 gallon of water to stay well hydrated. So far, so good. I headed for the BBQ in a gleeful endorphin haze.

No desire to have a beer or glass of wine. I was sort of waterlogged so I drank a few Diet 7-Ups. No problem. Then some sausages started coming off the grill as appetizers. I was doing fine until the linguica was ready. That stuff is like heroin. I consumed far more than I should have but I stopped long before I was satisfied.

Then it was time for dinner. I actually surprised myself. I ate mostly chicken, not beef and not in great quantity. I didn't overindulge when it came to either the garlic bread or chili beans, in part because neither we really excellent -- I suspect it could have gotten ugly had they been. I also made sure to eat a small dinner salad at the beginning of the meal.

Dessert was banana splits. Now normally I'm not a dessert guy but the hard-sell was on. Every time I passed by the guy making the 'splits he tempted me. On my final trip (to grab another Diet 7-Up) I fell victim to his salesmanship and my weakness.

I asked for a "small banana split" and in response of course he made one that could have sustained a family of 4, calorie-wise for a week. Of course I consumed it. The scary thing is that I did not yet feel full. Even 45 minutes after consuming the gargantuan 'split I did not feel full.

On the drive home everyone kept mentioning how "stuffed" they felt. I ate just as much and probably more than any of them and I didn't feel the least bit stuffed -- but I wasn't hungry either. That's nothing new and it concerns me.

I came home, finished the gallon of water from earlier in the day and drank a quart of club soda. Slept like a baby (I didn't feel cold.) This morning I woke up feeling just fine although I felt a bit "puffy" -- I suspect my body was retaining water because of all the extra sodium I had consumed the day before.

Breakfast went fine and I just finished my major walk of the day (90 mins at a fast pace) where I felt extremely strong. I also felt a bit "puffy" on the walk as previously noted. I sweated a lot so I should be OK in 2-3 days. More importantly, I don't feel any of the hunger pangs I had feared.

I also feel a lot less like a "diet martyr" today. After sleeping so well and feeling so strong while fitness walking it feels as if I have not yet started a diet. That's a good feeling to have.

Later tonight will be a second, much shorter walk and a big green salad with red tomatoes, red onions, red wine vinegar, salt/pepper and and 2 T's of ranch dressing for dinner.

In the end it was a learning experience. Had I not eaten the banana split, I would consider the entire experience an unqualified success.

The next social event with excellent food that I cannot skip is October 16th. I am feeling more confident that I will do OK that night...

totallywiggedout responded:
Hey, BigDaddy, I caught your initial post a bit late. By the time I was gonna say it's ok to do what you want and enjoy the bbq, it was too late, and you were prolly already half way thru the banana split.
Well. After reading your post, I guess that you still had your healthier lifestyle in mind. At least you were trying to keep it there. It is hard when you have someone , like the icecream sundae guy, doing everything except spoonfeeding you the stuff you were going to avoid. May I suggest, that next time, if at all possible, when dessert time rolls around, either eat only half of what is served you, or 1/3 if your split was THAT big.... or serve yourself in a much smaller bowl or plate.
Where you ate a full sundae, you probably could've just had a taste of all the different flavors and the banana and would have been just as "UNSATISFIED" as you ended up.
The question here is were you really NOT FULL or were you just Unsatisfied with what you ate?
I know you wanted to, and would have pigged out more on the breads if there was some good stuff there. But really. What did you miss at that BBQ that you still had a taste for?
If you are anything like a lot of us, you will find that the Big Blow Out meals that we plan for, ache for, strive for... are usually not as satisfying once we have been eating healthier foods. I mean, you can't say you didn't give it the "old college try" to eat your way into oblivion but it just didn't work. You went home feeling unfull, meaning unsatisfied. I don't think you wanted more, your BODY wanted BETTER.
Feed your body, and your mind will stay satisfied. Satisfied equals full.
keep up the good work you have been doing
keep the faith that you will achieve your goals
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

BigDaddyMatty replied to totallywiggedout's response:
We are not communicating. I ate quite a bit, I was very satisfied and content but I did not feel overfull/stuffed. Yet other big eaters who ate the same or less than I did were complaining about "being stuffed." In no way did I try to eat myself into oblivion, although I did eat more sausage and sundae than I wish I would have.

Other than the sausage and the ice cream, the food was healthy. Even those two items in moderation are fine.

I just finished my second and final walk of the day and had a huge green salad for dinner. I't late and I'll make it to bed without snacking -- or the desire to snack. I am relived in that regard -- no hunger pangs.

Thanks for your support.

Tomato05 replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
Glad it went relatively well and that you can now feel more confident about future social events, knowing that it won't spark off some hunger pangs the next day.

Maybe include some protein in your dinner salads? Your body could use the protein overnight for some muscle synthesis and other essential cell building and maintenance processes.

BigDaddyMatty replied to Tomato05's response:
I did add 1.5 ounces of diced cheddar to the salad...

I was sorta amazed that a salad made of 10 ounces of Romaine lettuce, 2 diced Roma tomatos, 1 small diced red onion, 1.5 ounces of cheddar cheese, 2T of ranch dressing and some red wine vinegar would fill me up but it did.

sandystrunk responded:
Hi DaddyMatty - you'll have to start losing the "Big" sooner or later.
I had a similar experience to yours -- but I have been counting calories and exercising for 4 months. To my surprise, not only was I able to almost avoid the things I shouldn't eat or drink, the one bbq rib that I did eat made me sick - literally.
Although my normal caloric intake is 1200 - 1400 daily - I also think your 1000 is low as you do not get the nutrients you require and this low intake lowers your metabolism - so it actually fights against what you are trying to achieve. With anything - check with a doctor.
The day of the BBQ I ate 2200 calories - but the next day, was back in line again - even not eating very much because I felt so full. Remember, though, that I have more time doing this so my perception has altered. Do you keep a food diary? It was seriously eye-opening for me, and it is highly recommended.
The main thing is to not get discouraged. You will have special event days, you will have anxiety days, but perseverance is the key.
I wish you all the luck in the world. It is not easy. But the rewards in increased health are worth it.

BigDaddyMatty replied to sandystrunk's response:
Thanks for your comments. Today is day #26 and I feel extremely strong. With the exception of the planned BBQ on the 16th, my adherence to my diet has been perfect and I have not experienced any significant hunger pangs. I just finished a fast 2 hour walk at lunch. I'll walk again tonight for close to an hour at an even faster pace.

I was initially exhausted at night following the two walks (even though I was already a serious daily walker) for the first 10 days of my diet. Now my body (and probably my mind to some degree is getting into shape.)

I don't keep a food diary. But I plan and follow a menu schedule so I know how many calories I am consuming per day. If I felt anything adverse (dizziness, strong hunger pangs, lethargy, other pains, etc.) I would adjust my diet but for now it seems to be doing extremely well.

And it's extremely simple. One fruit and at least two veg at every meal. No red meat or fowl -- only fish, legumes, unsalted nuts, eggs and cheese. One gallon of water per day plus about a quart of club soda or Pellegrino per day.

The results in 26 days have been amazing. My chronically "bad knee" seems to be almost healed. I was walking yesterday when I began to focus on it to see if I could feel any pain at all. I did that for a good block until I realized I was focusing on my good knee as both knees feel geat.

Mt flexibility is improving too. Before I began I would struggle to pick up a penny off the sidewalk. Yesterday I tried with the same force I was accoustomed too and my palm was comfortably flat on the pavement with some flex to my knees. Just amazing...

Sounds as if you're a model dieter. Congratulations on your good progress and improvement - it sounds as if your body is responding very well.

How many meals and snacks do you eat - how do you space it out?

BigDaddyMatty replied to Tomato05's response:
Thanks for your comments.

Like many dieters the morning is the easiest in terms of not being overly hungry so I take advantage of that even though I'm sure some nutritionists would cringe at that statement. So within a 1/2 hour of getting up I eat either an apple or a banana or some other similar fruit or an 80-100 calorie chunk of cheese or a shot glass full of unsalted peanuts along with a large sliced tomato or two, a couple of cups of black coffee and a pint of ice water.

I walk during lunch for 90-120 mins during which I consume about 3 quarts of water (I perspire heavily.) In the early afternoon I will have a small bowl of shredded wheat or oatmeal with 1% milk -- my traditional breakfast for the past 20 years and perhaps a small handful of blueberries.

I walk again at night before dinner. A typical dinner (and I eat as late as possible -- more cringing) would be something like a can of tuna packed in water, some sliced tomatoes, some raw carrots, some celery, maybe an orange and a few multigrain crackers from Trader Joe's. I usually finish the gallon of water I started earlier and often times add a quart of club soda.

Some keys for me:

Many times I am getting fairly hungry before one of my two walks. Walking (and I mean athletic power-walks) blunts my appetite for 1-3 hours -- the time of the walk and then up to an hour afterwards.

Drinking the gallon of water and the club soda really helps. Last night I mixed some psyllium power with some of the water and that made me feel even less empty.

I find it easier to wait for dinner than to eat earlier and endure hunger pangs later in the evening.

There is a spiritual/faith aspect of this journey for me. The first 10 days of the 2 walks/day and the new menu kicked my backside. I was exhausted and I felt ill. In retrospect now that I know more, I was detoxing. On the 11th day everything changed. I didn't endure those first 10 days without assistance. I have absolutely no question that any strength I have exhibited on this journey thus far comes from a source far greater than I.

Without taking anything for granted I am spending some time now putting together target weight sustaining menus that I will use once I realize my goal.

Thanks for sharing, BigDaddyMatty! I try to learn from every successful dieter and I can certainly learn from you.

Talking about nutritionists, they would probably also say your breakfast and lunch are not high enough in protein, especially the days that you eat fruit for breakfast only.

You seem to thrive though. And it is admirable that your faith is helping you.

I wish you continued success and good health, and that you will slide just as easily into maintaining your weight once you get to your goal.

Helpful Tips

The Venus Factor Review
Here Is the Review Of Venus Factor Scam For the Complete Solution of Weight Loss: Get Prevention from Exta fat forever. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.