Skip to content

Announcements

Diet and Hypoglycemia
Carill posted:
Two hours after eating breakfast my glucose levels drop to 60 or less. My symptoms are shakiness, confusion, irritability, inability to feed myself. I am not diabetic and have been checking my glucose levels with a glucose monitoring device. My high levels are usually 122 or less. I am not sure what I should have for breakfast in order to help prevent a low. I have eaten Raisin Bran cereal with milk and OJ and have had an episode and I have eaten an egg and two pieces of toast and have had an episode. I would appreciate any diet advice.

Take the Poll

What should I eat for breakfast to prevent a hypoglycemia event?
  • Prevention
  • Diet
vote
View Poll Results

brunosbud responded:
Why are you taking blood glucose readings?
Are you diabetic? Are you non-diabetic hypoglycemic?
If you are diabetic, are you taking medications?

Impossible to answer.

Carill replied to brunosbud's response:
I am testing my blood sugar because we have been traveling in an RV for 5 months and a nurse friend suggested testing my glucose levels to see if I was getting high levels as well as low levels. My high levels do not indicate me being Diabetic, therefore, I would be non-diabetic hypoglycemia. I have an appointment with an endocronologist in November but am trying to find out what is the best moring diet because my episodes of lows are a couple of hours after eating breakfast..

brunosbud replied to Carill's response:
Rare and serious condition; best left for an expert, imho. If it was me, I'd eat a healthy, balanced diet, never skip meals, exercise, regularly and carry glucose tabs or peanut butter cups with me at all times. btw, hypoglycemia is a symptom, not a disease so its important for a physician to investigate the cause. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.