Skip to content

Announcements

esophageal cancer diet
2Brian5 posted:
I'm helping a friend who's currently going through radiation and chemo for throat cancer, and want to know if there are any specific diet tips [types of food, preparation of food, ingredients to avaid, etc. Most of what he's consuming is prepared in a juice or food processor due to being unable to swallow regularly prepared food [veggies, meat, fruit, etc.>

Thanks.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi 2Brian5. I think it's very nice that you want to feed your friend while he's down. It show immesurable compassion to be able to stick through his illness. Don't brush this off, a lot of people "fade" into the woodwork when someone they know gets sick, because they simply do no have the capacity to be there through a bad time, basically, just "good time friends."
That said. We have a very good, cancer community here on WebMD. I'm sure there are people there that could point you in the right direction about what to blend, chop and puree to make meals not only nutritious, but good tasting too.
I would check with his doctor. My aunt had to have a trache inserted after her throat cancer surgery(not sure if this is your friend's case) but she had a very hard time with phlegm. So for sure, she stayed away from Icecreams, milk, creamy soups and dressings, etc because they just caused her to have MORE phlegm.
She was on pureed too though. I know she liked very creamed mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes and any cooked mashed creamy squash and pumpkin. To make any of these "creamy" without adding milk products, do them with defatted chicken broth. Just remember, most all brightly colored foods have more nutritional value. You aren't going to want to just feed him, you want to help feed his body to make it healthy.
Please visit the cancer community site. I'm sure there are going to be tons of ideas that they can give you about this too.
best wishes to you and your friend
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

2Brian5 responded:
Thanks for your advice. It's much appreciated.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.