Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Can’t get Motivated!!
sroberts08 posted:
I know I am no longer a teenager or even in my young twenties anymore. I am a mother of two and I feel it!! I am 80lbs over weight!! I HAVE to get this weight off, not only for my health but my self esteem. I just can't seem to find the motivation. I will do diets, then within a couple weeks I'm eating fast food and junk again. My husband lost 60lbs like it was nothing and here I am this huge lard and just eating the worst things possible. I know I am acting lazy right now but I think its because I am not getting enough rest, I have a 7 month old who still wakes up at night, and a 3 year old. If you have kids you understand that its no joke and once I get some "me" time I just want to grab a bowl of cookies and watch TV. I need to do this for me and for my family, if you guys have any advice to get my lazy butt up I would really appreciate it. I know these are just excuses I just need to find it in me to get my life back on track. God Bless you all <3

brunosbud responded:
Since you're a young parent, I'd like to share a little secret I've learned over the years. The most empowered people in the world only see the positives in their lives. They offer words of encouragement at every opportunity. They smile whenever they meet with others. Their seek ways to support the people in their lives. Failure is part of learning and the more times they fail, the more empowered they become. But, most of all, they are a friend to themselves...

You speak very harshly about yourself.

You have much work to do...

seeit2 responded:
sr08 - don't despair. It is really tough being the parent of young children, and I think the first year of each of my children's lives was the toughest. I was exhausted all the time. I think If you could even start walking every day you would find it helps a lot. Set simple goals for yourself and take it slow. If you can find a sit and stand stroller (I bought mine on Craigslist for a steal) then maybe you can put both kids in it and take them for walks with you every day. Buy a simple pedometer and set step goals for yourself, when you've met them for three days in a row, increase the number...anything you can do.

I totally get the desire to reward yourself during your down time with a yummy snack. Maybe someone else here has advice about how to get around that...personally, I try to eat an apple first and if I still want them a much smaller portion of the cookies than I would have had originally. But that may not work for everybody. I also try to see my workout time as my "me" time and my reward. No one else deserves it like I do, and no one else can demand it for me but me...maybe a nice evening walk can replace the tv and cookies. GL and let us know how you are doing!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

more effective weight loss pointers
primary all time tip is to devour wholesome and watch what you are eating, however now not vital how so much of food you consume. you may ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.