Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Type 2 Diabetes and Weight Loss
RisNanny posted:
I found out I had Type 2 diabetes in Aug. of 2009. The first year I did great on my diet. My doctor even said with the way I was going I would probably be able to get off my meds completely. In Aug. of 2010 I had a lot of crap come up and since then I have gained all of my weight back. I am a stress and bored eater and what I want is sweets. Please can someone help me get motovated to loose the weight again.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Ris, sorry that you hadn't gotten a response yet.
Use your desire to get healthier, to maybe get off your meds as inspiration for weightloss. Ok?
If you make a promise to someone you love, do you keep it? Probably, 99.9% of the time right? If so, what makes that person that you care for any better or more deserving of a promise kept, than you? Don't you deserve to have your promise to get healthy kept by you? Aren't you a good enough person? The simple answer is, make a promise.... and keep it. You are worth the effort , EVERY effort, to keep that promise to yourself.
You already know some of the basics about losing weight, because you've done it before.
Here's the plan,
Fill in the WebMD food and fitness chart with the lowest possible choice for how active you are. This will give you the best possible idea about how many calories to consume and how much exercise to do on a daily basis.
If you don't already have a food scale, get one. It can be a cheapy or the best on the market, but it will help in determining exactly how much you are consuming.
Read food labels for suggested serving sizes and keep track of how much of EVERYTHING you are eating. That means everything, too. The oils you use to cook in , the seasonings, the dressings, the gravies, the toppings.... everything has calories so you need to keep track.
Focus on trying to feed your body the healthies possible choices by eating a variety of fruits and veggies a day. If you choose frozen or canned, make sure they are without ANY additives like sodium or fats from stuff like Bacon.
Cook your own meals from scratch. Yes they are a little more time consuming, but YOU determine what goes into them. If you cook from scratch, using fresh, raw meats, veggies or fruits, you won't have to add as much (or any) sodium or fats , especially if you quick fix stir frys using cooking sprays that have no calories. Use seasonings like Mrs Dash which is sodium free and you completely cut out sodium from an entire meal too.
If you get up for munchies when watching tv, have two gallon jugs of water on either side of your chair and do curls during commercial breaks instead of visiting the kitchen. Or do jumping jacks or run in place for that 3 min break.
If you are bored enough to eat, you have enough time to do some push ups or to go out for a walk.
Don't sweat small setbacks. Everyone has mad munchie days. Just reign them in as quickly as possible then get back up on the horse that threw you and RIDE IT.
Have confidence in yourself
You can do this
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

RisNanny replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you Kim. Since I posted I have joined an exercise/weight loss bootcamp. I am sore but really enjoying it.

Again thanks for the pep talk
Deanna

totallywiggedout replied to RisNanny's response:
LOL, Well, Deanna, you are a better man than I .... I'd never be able to survive one of those camps. If it works for you, work it , Sister! It's good that you are back in control of your life and steering toward the distant horizon where your dreams meet up with your goals.
Good Luck
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

Losing weight healthfully isn't going to be easy or fast, but it WILL be worth it

Martina responded:
I have seen my father who had Type 2 diabetes lose both legs. If there is one thing that I can say, it was a terrible amount of pain for him. Lose the weight that you have put on. Ask yourself before you eat the wrong item, "is this worth losing a leg, a finger, foot or my eye site".

RisNanny replied to Martina's response:
I know what you mean...my mother had type 2 that progressed to type 1 and with it she lost complete sight in her left eye and some in her right. She had heart attacks, strokes, and a lot of other problems. We buried her January 7th of this year.

brunosbud replied to RisNanny's response:
Sorry for your loss, RisNanny. I lost my father this spring. He, too, had type 2 diabetes but, fortunately, well controlled.
If you unawares of the relationship between excessive belly fat and Type 2 Diabetes than you can gain valuable insights by visiting the webmd Diabetes Community,

http://exchanges.webmd.com/diabetes-exchange

The members, there, are quite generous & knowledgeable and will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding diabetes, 1 or 2...

Blindness, heart attack and stroke are undeniably symptomatic of uncontrolled type 2 diabetes...If you are aware of the relationship between weight loss and reversing Type 2 Diabetes, do you really require more "motivation" than what you've just experienced & witnessed, first-hand?

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.