Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Dietary and stool changes
Heidirs posted:
Hi. I have a question about stool.

I used to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Over years, my diet has become mostly meat and grains. I've recognized that this is not healthy, and I just recently (the past two weeks) have done a whole revamping of my diet. I went to the store and bought a variety of fruits and veggies.

And now my stool has changed. It's mostly lose, but not diarrhea. It's formless. In fact, an article I found calls it "cow-pie" stool. From what I found on a forum , this kind of lose stool is a result of all the fibber and the fact that I have changed my diet so drastically.

However, while the previous forum concluded that his kind of stool change is normal, healthy (compared to the usual solid stool), and will stick around as long as you maintain a high-fiber diet, another forum on the same topic considered this to be not normal.

So I'm just wondering what is considered to be healthy stool? Should I expect my body to get used to fiber or should I expect soft stool for as long as I stay on this diet?

I am not vegetarian. I do eat meat and dairy (just less of it at the moment). I am not experiencing any constipation or pain. Just trying to get my facts straight on what is normal and what is not. Thanks.

Heidirs responded:
For an example of my diet:

Yesterday
Breakfast - whole grain cereal with 1% milk
Lunch - broccoli, carrots, coliflower, and tomatoes with hummus
Dinner - water base soup with tomato, onion, kale, and a few scallops
Snacks (throughout the day) - an apple, an orange, handful of grapes

Today
Breakfast - blueberry, strawberry, raspberry smoothie with ice
Lunch - peanut butter and jelly sandwich on 35% whole grain white bread. An apple.
Dinner - water base soup with tomato, onion, kale, and black eyed peas.
Snacks - gluten free granola, an orange, handful of grapes

brunosbud responded:
I have loose stools on occasion when I drink too much coffee. The difference is, it's not chronic. If you've been eating poorly and have chronic loose or watery stools, that can be indicative of colitis or irritable bowel syndrome and you should seek medical attention, immediately.

Now, diarrhea is entirely whole other matter...If you continue to lose large amounts of water and you are needing to relieve yourself several times/day, that's cause for serious concern. Call the doctor, fast, especially, young children and seniors.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.