Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Are the Crudit?s Making Me Feel This Way?
BigDaddyMatty posted:

For the last four nights I have been eating a bowl of fresh crudités (2 large sliced tomatos, 3 stalks of sliced celery, a large sliced red bell pepper, 3 sliced carrots, 6 radishes and a sliced white onion) as my "side salad" with dinner. I leave the crudités unseasoned or I use a touch of Mrs. Dash. I do not use any dressing, oil or vinegar.

This morning I felt wonderful. Just sitting at my desk I had to literally stop every few minutes and ponder "I have no idea what's going on, but I feel great!"

Is it possible that it's the daily crudités? It's really the only thing I have changed in the last week. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
BDM, I think you are onto something! Click links below.

Don't "Hold the Onions"
5 Healthy Facts About Carrots
Health Properties of Tomatoes
I Am Celery
7 Healthy Facts About Radishes

I'm going to look for some information about the peppers but you've made me hungry! Going to grab some raw veggies and hummus

Haylen

Tomato05 responded:
Sounds good to me - the type of things I love too. I add some red wine vinegar/lemon juice and either soy sauce, fish sauce or salt and black pepper to my salads though. Plus some Alfalfa sprouts and fresh parsley or cilantro.

What have you been having as the rest of the dinner?

BigDaddyMatty replied to Tomato05's response:
I did it again last night and I feel great today.

When I actually make a salad I mix 2-3 crushed cloves of garlic, S&P, 1 part EVOO and 3 parts red wine vinegar. Sometimes I used balsamic or seasoned rice vinegar but they have a lot of sugar.

Those little frozen "Dorot" cubes of garlic are also good and easy to use.

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for the great information! I just bought 9 lbs. of vegs at the farmer's market last night.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
I love shopping the farmers' markets! Especially the samples

There's a good blog post with links to finding a market and what exactly is in season: Real Life Nutrition: Farmers' Market

I like the writer's phrase "dirt candy".

Haylen

Tomato05 replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
Nowadays I almost always add some shredded purple cabbage to my salad. The purple looks so beautiful against the deep green of the baby spinach leaves.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Matty and thanks for your posting. Assuming nothing else has changed in your life (new girlfriend...LOL) then YES you've achieved a natural high! Alright, let's look at what's going on here. The veggies provide a boatload of water, fiber (nothing like being regular), and plenty of plant nutrients--- vitamins, minerals. Your body craves this kind of wonderful food as it gives the GI tract a nice workout breaking it all down to absorb the nutrients, while also releasing terrific energy into your body and mind.

Combine this with all-day healthy nutrition and exercise and voila--- you'll feel on top of the world.

Keep eatin' your greens!

Dr. Peeke

BigDaddyMatty responded:
I made this remarkable "side salad" tonight that was amazing and I wanted to share it:

Dice-up the following:

4 tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 small red onion
2-3 stalks of celery
1 granny smith apple (the sweetness of the apple works with the acidity of the tomatoes and vinegar)
6 black olives

Add everything into a bowl except for the tomatoes and mix well. Dress with salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and garlic powder. (Fresh garlic might even be better.) No need for oil. Mix in the tomatoes and serve. (it would probably be even better if it developed in the refrigerator for an hour.)

Quite healthy.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
YUM!

Big Daddy - I immediately thought of you when I saw this story

Fruits Plus Vegetables Equals Happiness? Eating 7 Servings a Day Linked With Best Well-Being, Researchers Find

I think you will agree - I know I do!

Haylen

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Excellent article. Thanks. More and more I think the best way to eat is to follow something like the DASH diet plus a huge salad of some kind at each meal. For the nutrients and to ensure one does not get hungry.

brunosbud replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
If everyone ate a small salad with every meal, BDM, there would be no need for Obamacare.

BigDaddyMatty replied to brunosbud's response:
I very much agree.

If the gov't could do one thing it would be to choose/develop a healthy and simple diet and push the heck out of it. Educate, educate, educate! Push, push, push! Cajole, cajole, cajole!

Instead large sodas are made illegal and they want to tax pizza.

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.