Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Angelica67
Angelica67 posted:
I am thinking of doing the G. Bypass, I am healthy,I am 130 over weight, but I have drank a lot of wine about 4-6 glasses a day. How long do you have to wait before the getting the surgery?

An_248336 responded:
check out the surgery very carefully in your locale with your insurers----- it doesn't come with a guarantee----- and can have tremendous after effects in some folks----- the vitamin deficiencies and protein needs seem simpler before than after

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Angelica and thanks for your posting. I'm concerned about your alcohol intake, as it's excessive. Did you know that a large number (it may be a majority) of people who become seriously obese have addictions like some level of excess alcohol use? This goes along with a food addiction--- I have noted this in my new book THE HUNGER FIX, which outlines the new science of food addiction. Look at your family history for addictions like alcoholism. There's a strong genetic trend.

You can't just stop drinking this much alcohol overnight.

This bariatric surgery will not cure your food addiction nor your alcohol issue. You need help and support to handle both. I recommend you have a conversation with a bariatric surgeon about the sleeve gastrectomy which is much less invasive and is effective. There are also other new procedures available to help you. However, you need nutritional and psychological help and support pre- and post procedure in order to achieve and sustain longterm success.

Take a moment and get organized around your obesity issue. Find an excellent bariatric surgeon with a full staff to help support you. Then, make an appointment and start getting the help and direction you so richly deserve.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.