Skip to content

Announcements

Day Number 40 is in the book!
BigDaddyMatty posted:
I'm now through with day number 40 of my new nutrition and exercise program. While I have not weighed myself yet I'm certain I am down at least 30 lbs. and probably closer to 40 lbs.

The best part is that I am fully 1/3 of my way through my "reduction phase." When 01/01/2013 rolls around I am going to be focusing on maintaining whatever weight I am for a number of months -- no matter what I weigh at that time.

I've learned a lot in the past 40 days. I spent the first few days "detoxing" and I really had no idea what was going on. That ended soon enough. Then I began walking twice a day (I have long been a daily walker) and I felt exhausted for the next 10 days. That too passed and I then extended both walks.

That led to several more days of exhaustion but that too has now passed. I won't be extending the walks any further but it's been awesome to experience by body adapt to the increased physical demand.

Eating has been pretty darned good. I have felt no terrible cravings nor have I felt any real hunger. My collection of very simple weight reduction menus is growing and I am slowly creating weight "maintenance menus" which I will put in place on the first of January,

I haven't "slipped" since the 16th of last month. I skipped a social engagement last month that would have provided too many temptations and will skip two this month as well. I simply don't want to lose my focus. Come to think of it I'll have to hibernate on Halloween as well...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
BDM, you are an inspiration!

Thank you for continuing to share your journey towards health with us. My friends and I have a saying when it comes to exercise/weight loss - we are either "in the zone" or not. It sounds like you are "in the zone" and embracing it

I love talking about eating veggies with you - I'm looking for a story WebMD just put up about cooking with greens and I'll post soon - would love to have your comments on it.

Halloween is a temptation for me as well. Especially the day after - kids are back at school, husband goes to work and I'm in my home office with the snack sizes yelling at me. This year, I told husband he takes the candy with him or I donate it

Haylen

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Vegetables and to a lesser degree fruits really seem to be a key in any diet. Not only do they provide a great deal of nutrients, they also provide a low calorie/high fiber means to fill one's stomach so you won't feel hungry.

I need to concoct a low calorie "breakfast salad" that I can eat each morning with my regular breakfast. I'm thinking something along the lines of chopped Romaine lettuce, tomatoes and pineapple, along with a dressing made from tart cherry juice. Something along those lines.

I thought a little bit about Halloween. I was going to leave a big bowl of candy on the porch but with my luck I'll get two trick-or-treaters. I'm just going to turn off the lights this year.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
Your breakfast salad sounds like a good idea! Please pass along when you perfect

My new fave is a breakfast sandwich: wheat toast or flaxseed flat bread toasted. Spread with hummus and top with a tomato, raw spinach leaves and strips of red pepper. Easy to eat on the go, which is key for me.

Here's the slideshow I was telling you about: 13 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens

I'm going to try the kale salad this weekend.

Haylen

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I like your breakfast sando. Sounds pretty good. That slideshow is remarkable. I am going to try at least half the recipes. The spinach, red pepper and garlic sounds awesome although I would likely add a diced onion as well...

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.