Day Number 40 is in the book!
BigDaddyMatty posted:
I'm now through with day number 40 of my new nutrition and exercise program. While I have not weighed myself yet I'm certain I am down at least 30 lbs. and probably closer to 40 lbs.

The best part is that I am fully 1/3 of my way through my "reduction phase." When 01/01/2013 rolls around I am going to be focusing on maintaining whatever weight I am for a number of months -- no matter what I weigh at that time.

I've learned a lot in the past 40 days. I spent the first few days "detoxing" and I really had no idea what was going on. That ended soon enough. Then I began walking twice a day (I have long been a daily walker) and I felt exhausted for the next 10 days. That too passed and I then extended both walks.

That led to several more days of exhaustion but that too has now passed. I won't be extending the walks any further but it's been awesome to experience by body adapt to the increased physical demand.

Eating has been pretty darned good. I have felt no terrible cravings nor have I felt any real hunger. My collection of very simple weight reduction menus is growing and I am slowly creating weight "maintenance menus" which I will put in place on the first of January,

I haven't "slipped" since the 16th of last month. I skipped a social engagement last month that would have provided too many temptations and will skip two this month as well. I simply don't want to lose my focus. Come to think of it I'll have to hibernate on Halloween as well...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
BDM, you are an inspiration!

Thank you for continuing to share your journey towards health with us. My friends and I have a saying when it comes to exercise/weight loss - we are either "in the zone" or not. It sounds like you are "in the zone" and embracing it

I love talking about eating veggies with you - I'm looking for a story WebMD just put up about cooking with greens and I'll post soon - would love to have your comments on it.

Halloween is a temptation for me as well. Especially the day after - kids are back at school, husband goes to work and I'm in my home office with the snack sizes yelling at me. This year, I told husband he takes the candy with him or I donate it

Haylen

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Vegetables and to a lesser degree fruits really seem to be a key in any diet. Not only do they provide a great deal of nutrients, they also provide a low calorie/high fiber means to fill one's stomach so you won't feel hungry.

I need to concoct a low calorie "breakfast salad" that I can eat each morning with my regular breakfast. I'm thinking something along the lines of chopped Romaine lettuce, tomatoes and pineapple, along with a dressing made from tart cherry juice. Something along those lines.

I thought a little bit about Halloween. I was going to leave a big bowl of candy on the porch but with my luck I'll get two trick-or-treaters. I'm just going to turn off the lights this year.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
Your breakfast salad sounds like a good idea! Please pass along when you perfect

My new fave is a breakfast sandwich: wheat toast or flaxseed flat bread toasted. Spread with hummus and top with a tomato, raw spinach leaves and strips of red pepper. Easy to eat on the go, which is key for me.

Here's the slideshow I was telling you about: 13 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens

I'm going to try the kale salad this weekend.

Haylen

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I like your breakfast sando. Sounds pretty good. That slideshow is remarkable. I am going to try at least half the recipes. The spinach, red pepper and garlic sounds awesome although I would likely add a diced onion as well...